For The First Time Ever None Of My Icings Worked?!!

Decorating By esangston Updated 13 Jan 2012 , 5:41pm by TexasSugar

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 4:14am
post #1 of 10

oh what a day! Had a cupcake bouquet for a friend of my moms. Due at 10am this morning. Well due to the fillings, they couldn't be out of the fridge for more than 24 hours... So I had everything done but my smbc and assembling the bouquet.

So I go to make my version of smbc. Same concept but I omit some of the butter... Ive done this recipe like 10 times without a problem.... This morning... Everything looked like it was coming out. Stiff peaks the norm. I made up all my smbc. Filled my bags... Then magically, they all separated. Come to find out hubby disassembled my candy thermometer and put it in the dishwasher! I tested it this evening and it's all screwed up... Ugg no matter how many times I insist I'll wash my cake stuff, the only time he does dishes is when there's some special baking tool lol.

So I resorted to my old school decorators buttercream. The recipe I've perfected over the last 2 years and have absolutely no problem making it... Well guess what... IT DIDN'T WORK EITHER? Had to pump it with ps just to get it to hold a rose.., and then it was dry so I'd thin it out the way I always do and it was mush! I've made this recipe 100s of times... Always with the same ingredients... Always with the same technique... My husband even knows the recipe and he tried it and it failed!

What on earth is going on!

Needless to say I caused people to be 45 minutes late. I sent out a product that was pretty but it wasn't up to my standards and I seriously insisted they not pay me but they did anyways. And all day I've felt like crap about it.... Never had I had sooooo many things go wrong in 1 day

9 replies
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:23am
post #2 of 10

Dont beat (no pun intended) yourself up over it, it happens to all of us and of course at the most in-opportune times (when else would we be whipping up a batch of frosting?). Look at it this way, they appreciated your work enough to insist on paying you...it could be worse, you could be posting "my client didnt pay me, I spent twice my budget in ingredients and my husband refuses to help" lol.

I whipped cream twice on Christmas Eve....well lets say I churned a batch of orange butter and sort of made 1 decent filling for my Buche De Noel. Ive whipped cream a hundred times, I did everything right but for some reason, that particular cream just went right from soft peaks to butter.

If it was easy, everyone else would be doing it...successfully! Big hugs though!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 8:31am
post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by esangston

Had to pump it with ps just to get it to hold a rose.., and then it was dry so I'd thin it out the way I always do and it was mush!

I don't know how you always thin it out... I assume mush means that you used more liquid.

When it's too dry, add more shortening. It will be creamy instead of mushy.

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 10

It happens , your work is apprexiated of course

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 1:31am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Had to pump it with ps just to get it to hold a rose.., and then it was dry so I'd thin it out the way I always do and it was mush!

I don't know how you always thin it out... I assume mush means that you used more liquid.

I usually just add a lil more butter by the tablespoon or if it needs a lot of thinning, I add corn syrup. I hate the flavor of shortening and I despise the grease of it... So I only put in what I need to keep it from melting in the heat lol

CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:02am
post #6 of 10
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

I usually just add a lil more butter by the tablespoon or if it needs a lot of thinning, I add corn syrup. I hate the flavor of shortening and I despise the grease of it... So I only put in what I need to keep it from melting in the heat lol

I didn't think that old-school decorator's buttercream had ANY butter in it!

I might add corn syrup, piping gel, or water for writing or stringwork, but I wouldn't add corn syrup for roses--it needs to be stiff. I understand not liking the taste of shortening, but does anyone (besides kids) eat the roses anyway? Dried roses (with shortening-based buttercream) won't melt in the heat, so you can save your butter buttercream for icing the cake and make separate rose icing with your shortening. Better luck next time!

CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:04am
post #7 of 10

Whoa! Duplicate glitch happening again.

CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:06am
post #8 of 10

duplicate.

CWR41 Posted 11 Jan 2012 , 2:08am
post #9 of 10

yet another.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 13 Jan 2012 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:

Piping gel will also make it more creamy with out making it soft like adding liquid does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%