Zebra Cake

Decorating By jahnayjohn Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 10:24pm by kendra_83

jahnayjohn Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 3:13am
post #1 of 6

Easiest way to make zebra stripes with fondant is there a cutter for this ?

5 replies
melanie-1221 Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 2:55pm
post #2 of 6

No cutter that i know of. I just make some wavy strips and then cut them randomly at an angle. I have a tutorial on my blog ( the 50 & fabulous cake ) .

theresaf Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, the stripes should be random and varying sizes. Some beautiful ones are posted on this site, I made my first one in November (in my gallery) zebra stripe outside and inside. It's a fun cake!

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 6

I paint them on. I like the stripes being flat to the surface of the fondant.

MamaDear Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know of any cutters out there but I usually just roll out my black fondant pretty thin and then cut with a pizza cutter. I make some of the stripes fatter at one end and thin out to a point and make sure to make others with two points at the end (kind of a flame shape), this way I have a good variety to work with. After I get them cut, I separate them and then lay a slightly dampened paper towel over them for a few minutes to get the fondant flexible again. HTH. Happy Caking!

kendra_83 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

The most important thing to remember when doing zebra stripes is: Don't over think it! They're supposed to be random. Roll out a fairly thin piece piece of fondant and cut straight across the bottom with a pizza cutter to make a straight line. Work perpendicular to the base line, cutting strips with random thickness, angling the tops. When applying, paint entire cake with water (or vodka - less apt to leave "shiny" spots). If you're doing a tiered cake, leave dry a space in the same size as the next cake base for easy removal of excess. There are several youtube videos you can watch. It's much easier than it looks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%