3D Razorback Cake...pricing

Decorating By Vista Updated 16 Jan 2012 , 4:21am by Vista

Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 7

I have finally pinpointed my pricing for my regular cakes, but still struggle with 3D cakes. I was asked to make the cake in my gallery for a birthday party next weekend. The one in my gallery was for my son's 7th birthday. I have no idea how to go about pricing 3D cakes.

My base prices are $2 per serving for all buttercream, $2.50 for mostly buttercream, $3 for fondant covered.

The razorback is covered in buttercream with RKT covered in fondant for the nose, and hooves. Honestly it was very simple to do, and took me less than 1 hour (minus bake/cooling time).

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2141378/3d-razorback

6 replies
gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 12:25am
post #2 of 7

i've seen this razorback cake go for 4.00 per serving.
do you live in ark? what do similar cakes go for in your area?

Vista Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 12:36am
post #3 of 7

The prices in this area are sooo inconsistent! I have called bakeries in the area and gotten a difference of more than $50 for exact same cake, 35 servings.

There are only a handful of bakeries in this area, the biggest competition is wal-mart and harps!! Most people don't know that there are other options.

gigiel Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 12:50am
post #4 of 7

the 4.00 per serving was how much 'cakes by sam' charged, i believe late last year. she does a very nice razorback. she is in cabot i do believe. hope this helps. know you have to price reasonably, but don't give it away. it looked good. under pricing will just bring more people that want a 'hollywood' cake for nothing. that is not the type client anyone wants these days. if you're going to break even w/out profit, how will that ever be worthwhile? compliments are rewarding, but they don't pay the bills.

Vista Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:28am
post #5 of 7

I am familiar with "Cakes by Sam". She is about 3 1/2 hours south of me. I am in NW Arkansas.

gigiel Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 2:41am
post #6 of 7

siloam springs area maybe? nice area!
know a lot of things need to be considered regarding cake pricing.
there are threads on CC that detail some of the things to consider.
good luck.

Vista Posted 16 Jan 2012 , 4:21am
post #7 of 7

Same county as Siloam Springs. I have figured out so much of my pricing from CC (and so many other things!!).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%