How To Handle Larger Cakes

Decorating By bettmom Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 9:12pm by DeniseNH

bettmom Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all. Just wondering what is the best way to "handle" (ie move, level, stack, etc.) a larger size cake. I usually just pick up a smaller cake with my hands when stacking and taking out of a pan. A friend wants a cake that is 12" and 16" square so not sure how to handle them without cracking or breaking. Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 4

You could handle them the same way, if they're frozen.

If you don't want to freeze, they need to be supported on a cardboard. When flipping out from the pan, place a cardboard on top of the pan before you turn it upside down. Place another cardboard on the bottom of the cake (once removed from the pan), and immediately flip the cake (and both cardboards) back over to upright. Remove the top board, and let it cool. When stacking layers, just slide the layer off the board.

tokazodo Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 4

I'm with CRW41. I freeze. It's the only way I can get a head in life. Another useful tool I have found is a thin plastic cutting sheet you find at the Dollar Store. Last time I purchased they came 2 for a dollar. I have actually cut on in half, width wise. You can use a full thin cutting sheet for slipping under cakes which feel too fragile to handle. The cakes slide right on and off.It's great for slipping in between layers which have already been torted. I also use them when covering smaller cakes with fondant. They slip right under the sheet of fondant, you lift the whole fondant sheet and place over the cake. The best part is they are reusable and washable.

I hope this helps.

DeniseNH Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 4

I would say that filling your pans more than 3/4 full so that they rise to the tops of each pan. Then take a cake leveler, or long knife or even a length of dental floss and level the hump off of the top of the cake - while the cake is still in the pan - you use the top rim of the cake pan to level your cakes, then loosen the sides of the cake with a knife and flip the cake over onto a large acrylic sheet. Like the stuff you use in your storm doors instead of glass so that if it breaks no one gets hurt. I have my husband cut several of them for me and I use them all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%