Cutting The Cake?

Business By mystsparkle Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 5:17pm by KCC

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:06am
post #1 of 7

I hope i can explain myself so this makes sense: So you make a cake with tiers...and so there are dowels inside on each of the layers..maybe there's one big dowel in the center...etc... Do you tell the customer where they are, so they know how to cut them? This cake would be for a birthday party, so it's not a professional that is cutting the cake (like someone at a wedding event)... So how does the customer know where to cut, without cutting into a dowel? Is this a weird question?!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:16am
post #2 of 7

They'll see the dowels when they remove the top tier.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 7

You explained that very well! As a customer courtesy, tell them about the dowels. They will appreciate your helpfulness and spread the word that you are terrific.

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 7

I always tell the customer that there are dowels so they're not surprised, but they'll be able to tell where they are.....they should see the tops of them.

MyOccasionalCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyOccasionalCakes Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by abchambers

I always tell the customer that there are dowels so they're not surprised, but they'll be able to tell where they are.....they should see the tops of them.

DITTO for me!

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 7

okay thanks for the answers! Just wanted to make sure it wasnt weird to tell them about it! icon_smile.gif Going to attempt my first Topsy Turvy cake, so just wanted to know what to tell the customers when they try to cut that since I'm not staying at the party

KCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KCC Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:17pm
post #7 of 7

I tell them what needs to be done when they pick up and also include written "cutting instructions" with the order. It tells them how to remove the dowel from the top as well as how to disassemble the cake for cutting. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%