I Only Need A Little Bit Of Royal Icing....

Baking By JillycakesEtc Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 8:01am by gidgetdoescakes

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:14am
post #1 of 15

All the recipes I have made or seen make way too much. Does anyone have a recipe that makes less than a cup or can I make it and keep it for a week or so?? Thx

14 replies
kakeladi Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:23am
post #2 of 15

It will keep but not much longer than a week - if that.
I alway store it in a well sealed glass jar to keep andy and all air out, which helps preserve it.
I always used the Wilton royal icing recipe but cut it in 1/2 and even cut *that* in 1/2. Soooo that means if the recipe calls for 1 cup of some ingredient, then you use 1/4 C; If it calls for 3 Tablesoppns of an ingredient, use 2 & 1/4 teaspoons, etc etc w/all ingredients.
Depending on how it's going to be used, I had also just added a few drops of water to powdered sugar until it is workable and used that. This won't work if it needs to hold it's shape/be pipeable but is o.k. if just glue-ing something etc.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 12:40am
post #3 of 15

Agreed, I half the Wilton recipe -- works well for me. However, I use one consistency -- flooding consistency and royal icing will keep soaking up liquid, making it more liquidy as time goes on. Just be aware of that.

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 1:47am
post #4 of 15

Great tip....when I want just a little it is because I am just glueing or writing a little bit...I will just mix the conf sugar and water and try that!! Thanks so much for your responses!!

gidgetdoescakes Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 2:11am
post #5 of 15

Im afraid to make it in half recipe for fear it will not work.....so what I do is make a mess of royale icing flowers from my grand daughter..she absolutley loves ri haha

AZCouture Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 2:21am
post #6 of 15

That's why I keep a bag of the mix on hand for small jobs. Sprinkle some in a bowl, add a few drops of water...bam. No waste.

glendaleAZ Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 2:40am
post #7 of 15

I have one of Kerry Vincent's cake decorating books and it says that you can freeze Royal Icing.

Quote: "When only small amounts of royal icing are required, make up a single recipe of royal icing, then divide it onto generous 1 tsp increments. Double bag, and place in the freezer until it is required"

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 3:11am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

I have one of Kerry Vincent's cake decorating books and it says that you can freeze Royal Icing.

Quote: "When only small amounts of royal icing are required, make up a single recipe of royal icing, then divide it onto generous 1 tsp increments. Double bag, and place in the freezer until it is required"

That is so great!!! Thank you!!

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 3:14am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

That's why I keep a bag of the mix on hand for small jobs. Sprinkle some in a bowl, add a few drops of water...bam. No waste.

Do you buy a mix?? Don't you have to beat it until it peaks?? I am so new and I am so confused because it seems like everybody uses different things to do the same thingsicon_smile.gif.

DeniseNH Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 3:38am
post #10 of 15

Yes, beat it until it peaks. Also rebeat after you refrigerate or freeze it.

AZCouture Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 3:46am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillycakesEtc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture

Do you buy a mix?? Don't you have to beat it until it peaks?? I am so new and I am so confused because it seems like everybody uses different things to do the same thingsicon_smile.gif.

I keep a bag of powder on hand for gluing things and for things that aren't seen. If I need to something "pretty", I make my own. But for teeny amounts, it's a great solution. CK makes a decent mix.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:44am
post #12 of 15

whats ck?

JillycakesEtc Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 4:46am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgetdoescakes

whats ck?

It is a manufacturer of Cake decorating products....like Wiltonicon_smile.gif

Unlimited Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 5:14am
post #14 of 15

The "CK" in CK Products stands for Country Kitchens.

gidgetdoescakes Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 8:01am
post #15 of 15

ahhh thank you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%