My Buttercream Tastes "grainy" (From Dream Whip Po

Baking By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 8 Jan 2012 , 9:11pm by MarianInFL

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 6

I've been using IndyDebi's buttercream for quite a while now (the recipe has Dream Whip powder in it). I've always enjoyed it but noticed recently that the Dream Whip is making the buttercream taste "grainy" - like sugar cystals crunching in your mouth (just slightly though). Fairly recently I saw a cake show, I can't remember which one, where one of the judges said the buttercream was grainy tasting... I think that's when I noticed it about mine. Has anyone else ever noticed this? Is their anyway to fix this (by disolving it or something) as I love the taste of the buttercream?

5 replies
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 6

I wonder if I could melt the Dream Whip powder in boiling water first and let it cool.

saapena Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 6

I know this response is late but I have just seen the post. I make IndyDebi's BC all the time. However, I heat up my milk/cream in the microwave until it is very hot and then I add the Dream Whip to it and stir it until it dissolves since I also did not like the "grainy" taste. I cream the shortening/butter (I sometimes do a half-and-half mixture depending on my mood) for about 10-15 minutes until it is the consistency of sour cream. I add half the powdered sugar and half of the heated milk with the Dream Whip dissolved in it along with half of the vanilla. I let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve some of the powdered sugar and then I repeat. This is NOT my original idea however, lol. I saw it in a post (can't remember who came up with it--Mamawrobin possibly?) and I really like how the BC turns out with the long creaming time and heating up the milk to dissolve the Dream Whip.

If you have any questions, please PM me.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 6

That's awesome! Thanks so much Sheryl! I'm going to try that! icon_smile.gif

wafawafa Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 6

From my experience its not the dreamwhip, I had the same prolem when crisco changed to 0 transfat then change my sugar brand to a another brand and no gritness any more

MarianInFL Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 6

I always feel grit on my teeth with buttercream, but a couple of times I could actually sorta "crunch", so I know what you're talking about. After it happened the first time with IndyDebi's recipe, I tried AgentCakeBaker's Buttercream Dream (tastes less sweet to me). I used that for months with no problems, but one time I decided to add a touch more vanilla after it was done, and it developed that crunchiness. Wierd, huh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%