White Cake, Red Fruit Filling. When Do I Fill The Cake?

Decorating By FondantDreams Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 2:03pm by FondantDreams

FondantDreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FondantDreams Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, party is this Sunday at 1pm, 15 min. away from where I am making the cake. The client wants a vanilla cake with a raspberry fruit filling inside. I found a recipe here that is rated very high for satisfaction over all and I am hoping it will be OK but I need to get started soon. If I make the cake and fill it tomorrow, will the raspberry bleed into the white cake before 1pm Sunday afternoon? I'm rather scared about this!

Thank you for any advice you may have for me. I just need to know when I should be doing everything.

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:33pm
post #2 of 8

I would spread a thin layer of buttercream on the cake before you actually fill it. The fat will provide a barrier and keep it from seeping in right away. Also, keep it refrigerated so the filling stays on the firm side.

Annie

FondantDreams Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

I would spread a thin layer of buttercream on the cake before you actually fill it. The fat will provide a barrier and keep it from seeping in right away. Also, keep it refrigerated so the filling stays on the firm side.

Annie

I was thinking that and now I know it's a bit of a bigger job since I am torting the 12" and 9" cakes. The 12" one scares me if I have to BC all sides, I'm afraid it will split.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 8

Why would it split? And even if it does, buttercream makes great patching material. On occasion I've had to use cake spackle...(icing mixed with cake crumbs) to fill in any cracks or carving mistakes. It works great.

You do know to put a stiff buttercream dam around the edge before filling, right? And yes, as mentioned before, to avoid seepage, put a thin layer of BC before putting your fruit layer on.

FondantDreams Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 7:17pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Why would it split? And even if it does, buttercream makes great patching material. On occasion I've had to use cake spackle...(icing mixed with cake crumbs) to fill in any cracks or carving mistakes. It works great.

You do know to put a stiff buttercream dam around the edge before filling, right? And yes, as mentioned before, to avoid seepage, put a thin layer of BC before putting your fruit layer on.

I'm assuming I'd have to put BC on both sides of the cake touching the filling right? This would mean that after torting the larger cake I'd have to flip it over somehow to BC it then flip it again to go against the filling, are you following my thoughts here? I do know to dam it but I've yet to do a fruit filling and am nervous about that aspect.

FondantDreams Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 8

Ok, when can I fill it; I have to also cover it in fondant then decorate in time for a 1pm delivery Sunday afternoon.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 10:53pm
post #7 of 8

You can fill, buttercream, cover and decorate on Saturday and just keep it in the fridge overnight if you want. And you don't have to put a layer of BC on the underside of the top layer of cake. I use fruit fillings ALL the time and it really isn't an issue.
If you have a fondant covered cake that's refrigerated, put it in a box and wrap the box with plastic wrap or a garbage liner so as to avoid moisture issues. Take it out on Sunday and let it come to room temp while still in the box. Even if the fondant is a bit sticky it will dry. I don't cover my cakes with fondant but all my decor is fondant or gum paste usually and everything holds up very well when I put in overnight. The bakery I worked for would sometimes have to leave a fondant cake in the fridge overnight and I never saw any issues with the cakes.

Of course once your cake is covered in fondant, you may be able to just leave it out and decorate in the morning. It just depends and I defer to those that cover their cakes to advise on that.

FondantDreams Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 2:03pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you for your advice and expertise! I'm off to make this cake today and it will be wonderful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%