Fondant Newbie Needs Great Tasting Fondant Recipes

Decorating By the8martins Updated 7 Jan 2012 , 9:32pm by KateLS

the8martins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
the8martins Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 11

Hi There.

We're new to the site. We've joined to hopefully get some help with starting fondant. We've been taking Wilton decorating classes locally and are just starting course #3 (Fondant & Gum Paste) on Monday. I'd love to hear from anyone who has a great tasting fondant that's easy for beginners to make and work with, and any other fondant tips would be great as well.

10 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 11

My suggestion for class is to buy the Wilton fondant. The stuff tastes like crap but it's got a great texture and consistency. It's also cheap to buy with a Michael's or Hobby Lobby coupon.

For recipes, check under the most saved recipes. A lot of people like marshmallow fondant and others like Michele Foster's fondant.

Good luck!

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 3:25pm
post #3 of 11

I agree that the Wilton fondant is a good product for learning. I prefer Michele Foster's recipe, but marshmallow is good, too. Homemade fondant needs to be kneaded well before using - be sure it is soft and elastic before rolling out. I sometimes knead a bit of Wilton fondant in with either MFF or another purchased brand just for better workability and I always use Wilton to cover boards since I can get it cheaper with a 50% coupon than I can make it.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 11

LOL I use Wilton for boards too.

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 11

I am new to fondant too. I made Michele Foster's and it turned out great. I used butter flavoring and it taste pretty good. Agree with the Wilton fondant with practicing.

aandkidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandkidz Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 11

I love marshmallow fondant flavored with vanilla and almond. DELISH.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 11

Michelle Foster's Fondant is incredible and I highly recommend you make a batch! icon_smile.gif

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 11

I agree about Michele Foster's Fondant. Has anyone tried to make black fondant from MFF?

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeartist

I agree about Michele Foster's Fondant. Has anyone tried to make black fondant from MFF?

Yes, I've made it chocolate and then added black color to it. It's my simple black and white cake with the ovals in my gallery. The chocolate fondant by itself, I thought was a bit, I dunno, bland/bitter, maybe, but eating it on a chocolate cake was awesome! It really just flattered the chocolate cake.

Oh, and my mouth was very colorful after eating the black fondant. =)

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 11

Thanks KateLS! I've made the black marshmallow fondant before but it just doesn't have the structure that I need in fondant. Okay, I'm gonna try Michele's with choc & black gel. I've purchased Satin Ice in black before but just too expensive for me and it is more like marshmallow fondant to me so has the same structure issue.

KateLS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateLS Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 11

You're welcome!

Also, when making it, I found I needed to add just ONE pound of powdered sugar to mix by hand and then start incorporating the rest. (Maybe it's the altitude I live at.) But when I did the two pounds, it wouldn't incorporate everything and was just powder.

It does work differently than the white, so be prepared for that. But overall, I thought it was great.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%