What Do You Use To Make Your Gumpaste Flowers?

Decorating By ptanyer Updated 6 Jan 2012 , 6:27pm by cangela4re

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 12:35am
post #1 of 8

Last month I made 37 handmade gumpaste roses for a birthday cake using straight gumpaste. They were solo fragile that just barely bumping them caused breakage. Now I just dread making more, which I need to do for a wedding cake dummy. I used several different brands as I was using up leftover gumpaste from other projects. What do you do that makes your roses more sturdy and not so terribly fragile? Maybe I rolled the gp out too thin?

Thanks in advance for your help icon_smile.gif

Pam

PS: the roses I made are on the birthday cake for Mary and Sally, 2nd cake on the top row.

7 replies
cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:08am
post #2 of 8

Maybe mix with fondant so they maintain a little pliability a little longer yet not so mcuh they wont dry enough to handle 60%GP, 40% fondant...also would using egg cartons or something to store them in help?

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:12am
post #3 of 8

Thanks, I will give that ratio a try. Storing them isn't the problem, the breakage happened when I was putting them on the cake icon_sad.gif Good thing I made a few extras thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:32am
post #4 of 8

I use wilton premade g/p or nick lodge's recipe.Love, love, love, them both. Some decorators i know, use the pastillage for no breakage. I have done the same.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:40am
post #5 of 8

I use Nick Lodge's recipe too. They don't break when you touch them. If you drop one on the floor, it might break, but it might survive even that. (not that it would go on a cake after that of course)

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:58am
post #6 of 8

I use Wilton's premade gum paste too. I like to get stuff pretty thin too and really have not had them be that fragile. I really like it...especially with a Michael's or Hobby Lobby 40%off coupon!

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 8:26am
post #7 of 8

I make my own gumpaste using Edna's recipe on youtube. Please note that she wrote 12 tbsp tylose at the beginning then 12 tsp midway. It's 12 tsp, in case you want to try it. So far it's working well for me.

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 8

Ptanyer - PS I really LOVE your Tinkerbell Tree Cake! Such a great job!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%