fsinger84 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 11:57pm
post #1 of

Hello!

I use a doctored mix recipe that includes sour cream. I have also been trying different box brands to see if one rises higher than the other. I have found that since adding sour cream my cupcakes are doming less, unless they are on the upper rack then they dome a bit more.

Does anyone else have this happening? I am also wondering if any of the box mixes domes more than the other? I use smaller liners so I want to make sure I have a nice dome of cake on top, I don't want my cake to be flush with the liner height.

FYI I bake in a residential oven preheated to 350 and baked at that for the first 10 minutes then I turn it down to 325. I don't use the fan because I had some batters that were less stable and the tops were being blown to one side, the recipe I am using is pretty thick so I may try the fan again to see if it helps.

5 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 12:05am
post #2 of

I find refrigerating the batter for about 30 min before baking gives me a nice dome. I preheat to 400 and turn down to 350 right when I put them in and that also helps. When I put melted white chocolate in better they don't rise hardly at all, so the recipe can make a big difference.

CarolinaGirlAsh Posted 14 Jan 2012 , 7:57pm
post #3 of

I have found that hen I use Betty Crocker in a WASC recipe, my cupcakes and cakes do not dome or rise as much as when I use Duncan Hines for the same recipe.

ghana Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 7:51am
post #4 of

I find cake mix cupcakes dome really well.

poohsmomma Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 2:51pm
post #5 of

A tip I read here on CC (sorry, but I don't know who posted it) has helped me. I preheat my oven to 400 and put the cupcakes for 5 minutes, then lower the temp to 325 for about 14 more minutes.(this varies) The high heat at the beginning makes the cupcake dome better. I also use a doctored mix with sour cream.

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Jan 2012 , 4:29pm
post #6 of

I have never had luck with WASC in cupcake form. They are always very airy and spongy with a rubbery texture. If I use a mix for cupcakes I just do exactly what it says on the box and bake at 350.

I really don't like cupcakes and I rarely bake them anyway, so I never put in any effort into trying to fix the WASC.

Annie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%