Need A Cake Idea...

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 6 Jan 2012 , 2:09am by cangela4re

annakat444 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 4

I'm doing a cake for a group of local couponers and am not sure what to do. In case you haven't read my recent post, I'm very new to baking/cake decorating...I've done 3 birthday cakes (all 9" round buttercream) so I've never done anything very fancy, but the ones I have done everyone has been very impressed so I do feel confident in teaching myself until I can get to a class. I still haven't had a fondant class - the local bakery that teaches them wont be offering one till February or March. Anyway, with that said and given my current minimal skill level, what would you do for this cake?

3 replies
cangela4re Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 12:27am
post #2 of 4

Being a couponer myself, I can tell you some words couponers LOVE to see...

FREE or Free After Coupon/Rebate or FREEBIE
Moneymaker
Double Coupon Day (although we dont get those here in FL and its kind of a sore spot lol)
Multiple Inserts
Stockpile
$5 off $20
B1G1

You could do a buttercream cake, write the words randomly on the cake and on the top just pipe a big shopping cart with a few coupons sticking out...you could either laminate real coupons and just remove them to cut the cake or actually make the coupons out of gum paste and draw the coupon details on using edible markers. The coupon would harden like a plaque but it would give you plenty of time to work slowly on the design. This might also give you some piping practice which I know you mentioned before or you could cut the words out of chocolate or fondant using a tappit (letter cutter costing about $8 at amazon.com...tutorials on youtube).

If you do decide to laminate the coupons to use on the cake, at least they could clip the coupons and use them lol. Maybe find out what the hot coupons are/were from the weeks prior inserts. HTH

annakat444 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:03am
post #3 of 4

Those are great ideas! I didn't even think about gum paste, I would love to learn how to use it. Silly question but what's the difference in using gum paste and molding chocolate? Also if I made coupons out of gum paste, would you lay them flat on the cake? I was thinking if I laid them flat on the cake, could I make white chocolate rectangles and use petal dust to paint them different coupon colors, then edible markers to write the words over the petal dust? Would that even work?

Again, sorry for the baby beginner technical questions...I haven't worked with most of this stuff, just seen it used on tv but I don't have experience with it! Thanks so much for the help!

cangela4re Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 2:09am
post #4 of 4

In my experience, modeling choc never really gets as hard as gum paste. You could stand the coupons up if you used gum paste. If you did decide to lay them down you could use modeling choc and you could pipe onto modeling choc if you want to do a simple looking coupon.

Another idea is that you could make modeling choc (or gumpaste) mini coupons, pipe the words on some and coupon design on others and then stick them all randomly onto the buttercream cake some of them flat, some of them with the coupons curled at the edges a bit. That way, you could begin working on the coupons well in advance and you could do-over any that you arent happy with before putting them on the cake. This would give you lots of practice time with the whole design.

As for the petal dust, I think if you wanted to make colored coupons you could use it but you can more easily/affordably just color white chocolate any color you want. Im not sure if you can write on top of petal dusted chocolate or not (never tried it). For this design though, the chocolate still might be easier to learn than gum paste as long as you dont want the design to stand up. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%