Petal Dusts By Gsa Question.....

Decorating By alliecakes82 Updated 9 Jan 2012 , 2:27pm by alliecakes82

alliecakes82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliecakes82 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:09pm
post #1 of 5

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can confirm that the GSA petal dusts are made in the US? When I called GSA, the lady seemed a little unsure and they don't say "Made in USA" anywhere in the description or on the two bottles I have.

How do they compare to Crystal Colors? (I am guessing the lid is way easier to open with the screw cap icon_smile.gif

Thanks!
Allie

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:15am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure about the "Made in the USA", or why that matters, but the main difference between generic luster dust & petal dusts is that Crystal Colors are FDA approved--so they're not only non-toxic, they're also edible.

The generic dusts are mineral based and the Crystal Colors are "food" colors.

If something will be eaten, or will most likely be eaten, I use only Crystal Colors--matte or pearlized.

Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 5

Honestly Crystal Colors are going to be more viberant because they are food colors that can be used for dusting. They don't have any fillers, they are just pure colors.

You can also use Crystal Colors to color your buttercream, fondant, gumpaste, royal icing...

I don't know for sure about the GSA brand but as BlakesCakes said, most dusts are just non toxic. The only two brands I know that are FDA approved are Crystal Colors and Wilton's.

Belenna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Belenna Posted 8 Jan 2012 , 11:14am
post #4 of 5

Hi Allie,

I know this is nothing to do with your post, but I just adore your puppy cake. I am based in Australia and have searched far and wide on-line for one that I like for my daughter's upcoming 4th puppy themed birthday party. I was wondering if you would be kind enough to share with me how you decorated this cake and which tins you used, etc. I would be forever in your debt if you could help me out. My daughter would adore it. Many thanks icon_smile.gif

alliecakes82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliecakes82 Posted 9 Jan 2012 , 2:27pm
post #5 of 5

Hi Belenna,
Thank you so much for the kind words! I just PM'd you, take a peak and get back to me, happy to help!
Allie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%