How Can I Achieve This "frosting" Look?

Decorating By Reganlynn Updated 5 Jan 2012 , 7:04pm by Reganlynn

Reganlynn Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 3


I am making a cake and need the top to look like the attached picture. The cakes will be iced in buttercream not fondant, and I'll make the "frosting" look with fondant. My question is how to get the fondant to look like this because once I put it on the cake it will stick to the buttercream and be hard to make that shape. This is hard to explain, but I hope someone knows what I mean and can help me.

Thank You!!

2 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 3

I would cut out the shape before putting it on the cake. Put your cake pan on top of the fondant (for the right size) and then cut around it, adding all the curves. Wait until your buttercream has crusted, so that you'll be able to reposition the fondant if it doesn't go on exactly where you want it.

Reganlynn Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Texas Rose! What a great idea, I feel silly that I didn't even think of that. Thank you! Sometimes it helps just to say it outloud to someone else.


Quote by @%username% on %date%