Question About Frosting A Wedding Cake

Decorating By romiepeaches Updated 5 Jan 2012 , 7:58pm by Nyasalicious

romiepeaches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romiepeaches Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:56am
post #1 of 6

My friend has asked me to make her wedding cake, which would consist of 3-4 tiers. She wants two tiers to be chocolate cake with white chocolate buttercream and one or two tiers buttermilk cake with lemon buttercream. My question is would it look ok to make a cake like this, with the two different frostings? There will not be fondant to cover it up. I'm wondering how similar the color of frostings will be. Anyone tried this? Should I not do white and color the frosting?

Thanks

5 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 6

There shouldn't be much of a color difference if any at all. I have also made a white chocolate buttercream with a little lemon extract in it and it tasted great. Then you could use the same batch of icing, just divide and flavor.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 6

Use a lemon flavoring that doesn't have any color to it...Lorann's lemon emulsion is white, I'm sure there are others as well.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:13pm
post #4 of 6

I'd do vanilla buttercream on the outside of the cake and use the flavored buttercreams between your layers. That's the primary reason all my tiers are 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling - the buttercream on the outside of the cake only goes to a small number of guests so might as well have it be neutral and flavor-profile matching.

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:45pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I'd do vanilla buttercream on the outside of the cake and use the flavored buttercreams between your layers. That's the primary reason all my tiers are 4 layers of cake with 3 layers of filling - the buttercream on the outside of the cake only goes to a small number of guests so might as well have it be neutral and flavor-profile matching.

I agree. At least that way you are 100% certain that it will £dry" the same colour as well, if you were using two different recipes then there is not way of telling without doing a practise run.

Nyasalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyasalicious Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 6

Same as FromscratchSf and Lisa Peps..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%