CakeItGood Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:02pm
post #1 of

Hi everyone! My sisters wedding is this weekend, and of course, I am making her cake. With the amount of people coming, and the size of the base pan & stand that I currently have available, I have to start with a 14" square cake and build up from there.

I have done A LOT of wedding cakes. A lot of 3 tier cakes, and a few 2 tiers as well. But never have I gone over 3 tiers. And this is my sister. Am I asking for it with a 5 tier cake? I use the SPS system, just started with the upside down frosting technique with the last cake I posted (three tier stenciled damask & scrolls), have a very firm cake recipe, and manage to get the cakes pretty level. Is it really that much harder? If I take it slow and remember all the basics it should be fine, right?

The sizes are: 14" square, 12" round, 10" round, 6" square and 5" round. The top will be gluten free, Arrowhead Mills chocolate cake mix. I will transport it with the two smallest layers stacked, and the three largest layers stacked (large bow/pleating will be going around the 10"). Any tips or tricks for doing this large of a cake? Many thanks!

3 replies
CWR41 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 8:51pm
post #2 of

Just make sure the cake stand that you have is capable of supporting 40 lbs. of cake and icing (or more with fondant).

sillywabbitz Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 9:18pm
post #3 of

Also make sure you have help carrying the bottom 3 tiers. That's is a lot more weight than it seems. I did a 4 tier similar to that for a corporate anniversary cake and I was unable to lift the two bottom tiers stacked.

Oh and also be sure you measure or pre-place the SPS plates. I got a little surprise on arrival because one of my cakes was not the full 4 inches tallicon_wink.gif

CakeItGood Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:47pm
post #4 of

Thanks! Your comments are very helpful. Taking a deep breath and proceeding with all five tiers. It will make life interesting, right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%