Refusal to pay cake, le bron, florida

Decorating By BizCoCos Updated 8 Jan 2012 , 4:39am by myslady

LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 2:50am
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

The disputed cake is hideous! But would you just look at that bulging center tier on the cake that was used? Wow!

I was thinking the same thing...I don't think either cake is all that great.

Jackie Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 2:55am
post #32 of 63

I really don't appreciate some of the comments in this thread. I am all for public discourse and the article raises a lot of interesting points about contracts, pricing, and press.
However stating your opinion on how ugly you think a cake is, or publicly insulting your local competitors is just bad form.

I don't think I can say it better than Mr. Horse: "No Sir, I don't like it"

BizCoCos Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:01am
post #33 of 63

yes, that was not the original intent of my post, I actually felt bad for the baker.

ilovecke Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:34am
post #34 of 63

People who say "Its just flour, water and eggs" are completely ignorant of the other factors that go into creating a cake. We are artists! Geeze man! A painting is just oil and canvas yet people pay huge dollar amounts to have them. Cakes are the same thing. You are not paying for flour, water and eggs......you are paying an artist to turn those items into a work of art. Any bone head can bake a cake! It takes years of training, classes and practice, not to mention a fortune in tools and equipment to become an artist. Prices are set according to what we consider our time and talent to be worth. The rejected cake was simple and the work was clean. I bet it took several hours to create the crown. The cake that was used looked like it was created in a bit of a rush. Bulging fondant would be a result of covering an "unsettled" cake.....cakes need to settle in the fridge before decorating them to avoid this. For those who say "its just eggs, water and flour" can make their own cake!

wendy1273 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:34am
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizCoCos

yes, that was not the original intent of my post, I actually felt bad for the baker.

I was reading all this post and I could not believe all these mean comments, what's going on with this world that people jump the first chance they get to humiliate and insult other people, this is one of the reasons why I stopped posting here, I realized long time ago that there are a lot of great people but there are also a lot of mean miserable people here.
Who are we to put price on someone else work, if you don't like the price of someone's cake just move on and shut it. I also know that prices vary depending on the area you business is located so keep that in mind.
Remember there is a God watching us and if you don't believe in God believe in the universe and what goes around comes around.

gscout73 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:12am
post #36 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerobs

here is the picture of the cake and yes I believe this cake is worth 3000
http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/shortorder/2012/01/lebron_james_birthday_cake_and.php

This link is for the accepted cake. Here are the cakes.
LL
LL
LL

jason_kraft Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:31am
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy1273

Who are we to put price on someone else work, if you don't like the price of someone's cake just move on and shut it.

Sorry, but this baker opened the door by going to the media about how a celebrity ripped her off. She wanted publicity, and she got it.

gscout73 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:56am
post #38 of 63

What rubs me the wrong way, is them setting up 2 bakers. They negotiated this knowing there were 2 cakes and would take only one, and made sure they would not have to pay a penny for either. His "people" are con artists. I am not a Lebron fan, but now I am even less impressed.

Tails Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:09am
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by gscout73

What rubs me the wrong way, is them setting up 2 bakers. They negotiated this knowing there were 2 cakes and would take only one, and made sure they would not have to pay a penny for either. His "people" are con artists. I am not a Lebron fan, but now I am even less impressed.

From what I gathered, the HOTEL hired the rejected baker, and LEBRON'S team hired the accepted baker, who had already done cakes for Lebron previously to this occasion.

I have to say, I know nothing of this sportsman, being from SA myself, but I cannot say I like the rejected cake. The accepted cake bulges in the centre, but damn its suitable size and bling for the superstar status. You cant dispute that! The rejected cake (in my personal opinion) is not worth $3000. I dont recall seeing anywhere that the accepted baker wasnt paid though?

As for where the $3000 came from, it sounds like the rejecteed baker charged $3000 when her cake was turned down. She valued her own cake at that much considering she had to hire extra staff, etc.

Also, knowing nothing of colours or teams, it does look very similar to the cake the accepted bakers did a year or so ago (there was a link pasted earlier in this thread) and in similar colours to a team I believe he's no longer with.

Personally, I feel bad for the rejected baker, cos she looks so proud of her little cake, but honestly, as a photographer I wouldnt take on a celeb client simply cos I know I'm not in that league quality-wise. She should have thought twice about taking on this job, considering the client.

The accepted baker's cake looks a lot more celeb-worthy in size and style. I could easily see one of those cakes on Cake Boss or My Super Sweet Sixteenth kind of shows, rather than the rejected bakers little cake that looks little more than a wedding cake icon_sad.gif
As for being horrible about the baker, she signed up for public critique when she claimed her cake was worth $3k and make a public stink when her cake was rejected.

Jackie Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 11:04am
post #40 of 63

I just posted an update with some more images
http://cakecentral.com/blog/lebron-james-refuses-pay-baker-3000-cake
(at the bottom of the post)

It looks like the original cake was damaged after/during delivery.

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:24pm
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake_cutie

Being a fan of LBJ, as soon as I saw the cake I understood why LBJ's people turned it away. The colors used are too similar to his previous team colors which is Cleveland and not his present team the Miami Heat. But that definitely should've been outlined in the contract if there was one. And while the cake is not bad, it is very simple.

Well, being one who absolutely despises the immaturity and entitled behavior of LBJ, I have to say that the robin red & yellow gold on the cake are much more in line with the Heat colors..........NOT the Cavs colors (that I proudly wear), of deep maroon/wine, old gold, and dark navy for an accent.

I think the second cake looked like a rushed or leftover wedding cake and I'd have sent both cakes packing.

As for the $3000 price, I think that's the price for multimillionaires requesting rush orders. I'd hope that on a regular day with regular people, we'd be at no more than 1/3rd of that.........

Rae

ilovecke Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:58pm
post #42 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcake_cutie

Being a fan of LBJ, as soon as I saw the cake I understood why LBJ's people turned it away. The colors used are too similar to his previous team colors which is Cleveland and not his present team the Miami Heat. But that definitely should've been outlined in the contract if there was one. And while the cake is not bad, it is very simple.

Well, being one who absolutely despises the immaturity and entitled behavior of LBJ, I have to say that the robin red & yellow gold on the cake are much more in line with the Heat colors..........NOT the Cavs colors (that I proudly wear), of deep maroon/wine, old gold, and dark navy for an accent.

I think the second cake looked like a rushed or leftover wedding cake and I'd have sent both cakes packing.

As for the $3000 price, I think that's the price for multimillionaires requesting rush orders. I'd hope that on a regular day with regular people, we'd be at no more than 1/3rd of that.........

Rae

Isn't that crazy???? Who the blazes is soooo disorganized that they think they can call up a bakery and have a masterpiece ready in under 24 Hours? I agree! If I have to drop everything I am doing to worship a "god" whose people can't get it together and give the simple courtesy of a notice, then my price tag is $3000 too! Great work takes time people!!!!

jgifford Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 2:19pm
post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

If this is what the cake looked like when it was viewed/delivered, no wonder they rejected it. Your average bride at a budget wedding wouldn't want her picture made with that, so why would a "star" athlete want it? And I'm not being mean - - just realistic. The baker is getting her publicity after all so is there really a problem here?

tgress13 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 2:58pm
post #44 of 63

Regardless of what LBJ's team did, the responsiblity falls on the baker to protect herself with a contract, as a previous poster said. This was not a donation but rather an exchange of service and there should have been a clause in case the terms were not met.

Also, there seems to be a reigning confusion as to who contracted with her, the venue or the client. Seems like the pot is being stirred just so she can get her publicity one way or another. In one of her statements she said she'd do it again if she were asked, this clearly negates the so called "problem" she had with this situation.

As for the way the cakes look, it is very subjective. For those of us in the industry, the flaws in the accepted cake are very blatant to the point of being unacceptable. The rejected cake was cleaner, had more details and a higher degree of difficulty. However, cake muggles out there only see the glitz, sparkle and flash. To each their own!

JGMB Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:00pm
post #45 of 63

The thing that struck me first when I read the article and saw the red cake that was rejected was that it wasn't nearly big enough!!! The article said that she'd been commissioned to make a "3 foot cake". Then there's a photo of the baker standing beside it --- unless she's 8 feet tall, there's no way that cake was even close to 3 feet!!

QTCakes1 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:16pm
post #46 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I think they're both pretty ooglay in their own special ways, and I also think that this whole thing has been blown out of proportion by publicity whores to make it more interesting. Who cares?

This statement could apply to just about everything we read today on the internet, in blogs, and on the news. To each his' own. I say if you don't care, don't comment.

SugaredSaffron Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:46pm
post #47 of 63

I like the first cake more than the second.

AnnieCahill Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:32pm
post #48 of 63

I don't like either cake, and I completely agree with Kara and Jason. She wanted publicity, and no one ever said all publicity was good.

FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 7:41pm
post #49 of 63

THIS was the cake they rejected:

ImageImage
It's still a mystery of how or why it looked like this in the end, but it is what it is. Thanks Jackie for posting the update.

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 8:00pm
post #50 of 63

Given that this cake is sitting, quite literally, amongst the trash, I question when the photo was even take.

I don't believe, for one second, that the cake looked like that at delivery. No one wanting good publicity would EVER deliver something like that.

I think the photo was taken after the cake had been manhandled and carelessly put in a very warm storage/trash area.

If she really said she'd do it again, she's a fool. Just because these people are "stars" doesn't mean that you'll ever get a dime out of them. They're more likely to want it for free, having provided the old BS of, "oh........you'll get a lot of business when your cake is seen with XXX". Yeah, right.

Rae

gscout73 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 8:16pm
post #51 of 63

That damage is terrible. I wonder if they tried to take it, caused the damage, then "rejected' it for not being good enough. We all know many people have no clue how fragile cakes are. This is sad.

FromScratchSF Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 8:23pm
post #52 of 63

Oh, I agree, I am sure the damage happened after delivery, and quite possibly after they found out another cake was on it's way or was already delivered, but these are the photos that are going around now about WHY the cake was rejected.

My family has worked in the entertainment industry for years working for super famous people (actors, radio personalities, movie stars).

So, here's my take. Cake #1 is ordered by venue and delivered. They find out about cake #2 that was ordered by the talents' handlers. Cake #1 is pushed aside because the talent gets what the talent wants. Cake #2 is used. Once cake #1's baker starts throwing a fit at the time of the event, venue and/or handlers take pics of damaged cake "just in case". Baker of cake #1 makes a big fuss in the media then voila! Pics of damaged cake surface so people "understand" why it wasn't used.

I could be wrong, but it's what my brother (handler for a very famous radio/TV personality) would do. It's his job to spot potential negative press and make sure they have a response for everything. But I could be totally wrong.

Edited to say, if you work with famous people you have to be prepared to be completely messed over. Not by the famous person themselves, but the people that work for them. Just the way it is.

syarber Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 9:33pm
post #53 of 63

I think the biggest thing here is if the baker of cake 1 had a contract as many people have pointed out. And if the venue lived up to their end of the deal as they were the ones to contact her. I personally am not a huge sports fan and don't follow the realty and gossip tv shows. What stars do in their personall life is their business. I get tired of all of the headlines that will use a stars name to make the story bigger and draw more attention. I hadn't even heard of this story until it was posted here.
Really the moral of the story here is not to work without a contract if you are expecting something in return.

gscout73 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 1:32am
post #54 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie

Thank you, Jackie, I am thinking the same thing.

DeeDelightful Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 6:51am
post #55 of 63

It appears she put a lot of work into the cake. I won't knock anyone's hard work, but it's not the style of cake I would make for a celebrity. That appears to be more of a high-end cake for a young fan's birthday, but not the actual celeb, himself. I believe there were LOTS more designs she could have explored.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 7:37am
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by syarber

I think the biggest thing here is if the baker of cake 1 had a contract as many people have pointed out. And if the venue lived up to their end of the deal as they were the ones to contact her. I personally am not a huge sports fan and don't follow the realty and gossip tv shows. What stars do in their personall life is their business. I get tired of all of the headlines that will use a stars name to make the story bigger and draw more attention. I hadn't even heard of this story until it was posted here.
Really the moral of the story here is not to work without a contract if you are expecting something in return.

Per the original story, the baker was asked to make a cake. She agreed to do so in exchange for the publicity. So, yeah, she had a contract. I hope it's understood that a signed agreement in writing is not required to have a valid and enforceable contract.

peg818 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 2:38pm
post #57 of 63

I agree I think this is what most likely happened. I do say the close up pictures of the crown look like. It was well done before the damage occurred

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

Oh, I agree, I am sure the damage happened after delivery, and quite possibly after they found out another cake was on it's way or was already delivered, but these are the photos that are going around now about WHY the cake was rejected.

My family has worked in the entertainment industry for years working for super famous people (actors, radio personalities, movie stars).

So, here's my take. Cake #1 is ordered by venue and delivered. They find out about cake #2 that was ordered by the talents' handlers. Cake #1 is pushed aside because the talent gets what the talent wants. Cake #2 is used. Once cake #1's baker starts throwing a fit at the time of the event, venue and/or handlers take pics of damaged cake "just in case". Baker of cake #1 makes a big fuss in the media then voila! Pics of damaged cake surface so people "understand" why it wasn't used.

I could be wrong, but it's what my brother (handler for a very famous radio/TV personality) would do. It's his job to spot potential negative press and make sure they have a response for everything. But I could be totally wrong.

Edited to say, if you work with famous people you have to be prepared to be completely messed over. Not by the famous person themselves, but the people that work for them. Just the way it is.

QTCakes1 Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 3:35pm
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

It appears she put a lot of work into the cake. I won't knock anyone's hard work, but it's not the style of cake I would make for a celebrity. That appears to be more of a high-end cake for a young fan's birthday, but not the actual celeb, himself. I believe there were LOTS more designs she could have explored.

This is a spot on description! It does look more for a child then a high end athlete. Not a bad cake, but definitely for a different client.

ChristineCMC Posted 6 Jan 2012 , 9:14pm
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I agree with this. I can not fathom that baker of cake #1 would leave a damaged cake for such a high profile event. I think the cake was damaged when they tried to move it out of the way for cake #2. Then damaged it in process. Took pictures to cover the celeb as to why it wasn't used.

I also agree that I think that this cake would be better suited for a child's party than an upscale event. That being said, I don't really like cake #2 either.

glendaleAZ Posted 7 Jan 2012 , 2:23am
post #60 of 63

The first baker accepted the order with only a 24 hours notice. In my opinion, she came up with a really nice cake design on such short notice (and, I sure she had other cakes and business that also needed her attention). I think her price is reasonable, when you consider that she had to pay for addition help, then there's the actual cost for the cake ingredients (from what I read they didn't sound cheep), and the additional cost incurred to run her business, such as taxes, insurance, rent, etc... I would also think that she up-marked the price of the cake to include, what she believed, was lost revenue due to her cake not be show-cased as promised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%