Do I Need A Commercial Kitchen To Make A Wedding Cake?

Business By izzygk15 Updated 5 Jan 2012 , 4:36am by Elcee

izzygk15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzygk15 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 5:15am
post #1 of 3

I am making a wedding cake for a friend. She is not paying anything except for materials. Do I have to make her wedding cake in a commercial kitchen? No money is changing hands but I don't know if I have to in Colorado.

2 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 5:53am
post #2 of 3

Technically if you accept any compensation (in the form of cash, goods, or services) you would need a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen, since CO does not have a cottage food law. This seems like a relatively low-risk situation though, as long as you aren't advertising that you are running a business.

You may want to check with the venue to see if they will allow a cake made by an unlicensed baker, some venues require vendors to be licensed and carry liability insurance.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 4:36am
post #3 of 3

Definitely check with the venue. I'm strictly a hobbyist and have only done a few wedding cakes. Two of the weddings were at high end venues. One couldn't have cared less where the cake came from, the other made the bride and groom sign a waiver. Another friend had her wedding at a venue that wouldn't allow me to make her cake, gift or not. She had to use their in house decorator.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%