How Do You Do Cakes You Hate?

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 5 Jan 2012 , 4:04am by Annabakescakes

Annabakescakes Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 15

I have a Louis Vuitton hand bag cake to do and I was encouraging the brown with a pink handle because I think it is Almost cute. She has countered with a white purse with all the colorful emblems, which I think is grotesquely hideous. I don't even know what to say to her. What do you do?

And yes, I know it is copyrighted, Jason icon_wink.gif

14 replies
jgifford Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 15

Well, since you accepted, I would say suck it up and do it. After all, you're making cakes to the customer's preferences, correct? And I agree with you - - Louis Vuitton bags are all hideous.

melanie-1221 Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 15

Uggh, I hate when this happens. I've done a few cakes that I thought were hideous. Wedding cakes at that, where the whole time I'm making it I'm thinking, " this is atrocious".
It's tough because I find I have a hard time motivating myself to do a cake I'm not crazy about.
I have started telling myself that the client will be thrilled, and its' just not my style.
Good luck. icon_biggrin.gif

reginaherrin Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 15

It does suck to do cakes you don't like doing but I always say its whatever the customer wants. I have put colors together that I thought were totally hideous but the customer had to have them. The only kinds of cakes I refuse to do are really gross anatomy cakes. I do boobie cakes and penis cakes but its the really gross cakes (which I won't mention the details) that I won't do. And even when I do the boobie and penis cakes I have to hide them from the kids and refuse to put them on my website. I have to ask, why don't you want to do the white LV bag? I have done both the brown one with the gold stamps and the white one with the multi color stamps and I thought the white one was much cuter then the brown but it sucks to handpaint all those different colored emblems.

Cakery2012 Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 15

Please post a pic when finished . Ive see the brown.but not the white LV cakes..I guess you have to look at as any.other job . There is always something you dont like about it . But if it pays well enough its worth it icon_wink.gif

cangela4re Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 15

I guess thats the difference between being a hobbyist and doing what you want for fun and being a professional where you actually get paid to do what the customer wants...its a tough transition but I just try to think of how happy the customer will be and I keep hearing my mothers voice saying "any job worth doing is worth doing well" lol. It also helps to get as much of a head start as possible and do it in stages so it doesnt seem like "punishment" by doing it all in 1 or 2 days. I have to make a Darth Vader 3-D head cake due the 14th and Im not looking forward to it but I know the recipient wanted "the cake he never got as a kid" so thats motivating me some.

jason_kraft Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 12:45am
post #7 of 15

Most of our cakes have relatively basic designs but we occasionally get customers who ask for odd flavor combinations. When this happens I respond that the pastry chef recommends the more complementary combination of flavors of X or Y. If the customer doesn't take our advice we still make the cake.

If the customer were to request a not-so-flattering design or color combo we would do the same thing: provide our recommendation, and use the design requested if the customer insists. Of course we wouldn't publish any pictures of that cake, which is probably good in this case if you want to avoid a lawsuit (although you'll have to hope the customer doesn't post pictures either).

If you really don't want to make the cake you can ask the customer to provide written permission from LV to use their logo and design.

carmijok Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 1:17am
post #8 of 15

I hope I can attach this picture...I don't think it looks bad. Lots of people have this bag and love it so even if you don't care for it, just do it! The customer will love it and that's all that counts. This is an attachment from theCakeWorks. They do lots of purse cakes.
LL

Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 5:35am
post #9 of 15

Well I guess I found another kink that has yet to work out! I didn't get any notification that anyone had posted replies! And I did check the box...

I just flat out hate Louis Vuitton purses! She sent a pic that is similar to the cake Carmijok posted. It was a $600 purse!!! icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif Very hard to believe. I spent that much on my dishwasher and it cleans my dishes without pre rinsing. I use it every single day to wash my dishes! My washer and dryer set cost just a bit more. We are a family of 6, that set gets use!! A purse does nothing but help you tote your junk around and $20 for a purse is splurge for me, lol. So I guess part of it is an intense, guttural protest of the ridiculousness of it, but it is just so ugly as well.

I do need the money, I wasn't planning on not doing it, I just don't know how to be positive about it and come up with suggestions and ideas when it is horrible to look at.

And what are people using to do do them nicely? I was thinking of using the craft cutter on frosting sheets and painting them individually. thumbsdown.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:23am
post #10 of 15

This is how you do it. While you're making whatever cake you think you hate, you think to yourself "Ah, this is going to buy me a new dishwasher, food processor, trip to Vegas, etc."

Hey, it's a gig.

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:28am
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

This is how you do it. While you're making whatever cake you think you hate, you think to yourself "Ah, this is going to buy me a new dishwasher, food processor, trip to Vegas, etc."

Hey, it's a gig.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

But it is still hard to design the cupcakes and such to see what looks the best when you think it is going to be ugly no matter what you do icon_cry.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:29am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Hey, it's a gig.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

But it is still hard to design the cupcakes and such to see what looks the best when you think it is going to be ugly no matter what you do icon_cry.gif

Just do what they want and keep saying "trip to Vegas...trip to Vegas..."

idgalpal Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 1:54am
post #13 of 15

My future daughter-in-law picked a wedding cake I didn't like and I was so sure it was way out of my skill level to boot. I printed several pictures of it and posted them at home and at work. I lived with the cake for almost a year before I had to make it, and by the time the wedding came I had really grown to like it and I'd figured out how I was going to do it over time so it all worked out.

pj22 Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 3:49am
post #14 of 15

That;s a cute LV purse cake that carmijok posted... I kinda like LV bags.. they are not *that* hideous you know icon_wink.gif

And I would love to know how to do those colorful symbols too... handpaint them on the fondant??

Annabakescakes Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 4:04am
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj22

That;s a cute LV purse cake that carmijok posted... I kinda like LV bags.. they are not *that* hideous you know icon_wink.gif

And I would love to know how to do those colorful symbols too... handpaint them on the fondant??

Taste is subjective! If it was the only bag I owned, I'd throw all the crap I tote around with me into the floor board of my van and put my money and cards in my pockets.

I hate it. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%