Help!!! Career Day For 1St /3Rd Grade Ideas

Decorating By SophiaS Updated 4 Jan 2012 , 3:08am by donnlara

SophiaS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophiaS Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 9

Any help would so appreciated!!! I am stumped on what to do during my career day presentation!! I was asked to present at career day for my daughters school for 1st through 3rd graders about cake decorating, I am super excited about it I just want it to be fun for the kiddos too! I will be presenting 8 times for 25 min each time. I am planning on showing a slide show of some of my cakes and I was also thinking about making a couple of cakes to bring up there as well and just leaving them up there for the teachers to share afterward but what are some other ideas I could do to get the kiddos involved without spending a fortune? I was thinking about maybe teaching them how to make a simple fondant rose or something.....I just don't know though. icon_sad.gif please....please....please....any ideas would be so helpful as I only have 2 weeks to figure something out. Thank you in advance icon_smile.gif

8 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 9

Maybe let each one of them decorate their own cupcake - - although I realize that could get expensive depending on how many kiddos there are.

jamawoops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamawoops Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 3:09pm
post #3 of 9

You could let them decorate their own cupcake. It'll be easier on the teachers then having to cut and serve cake for everyone. Just don't bring too make decorations or it will get messy quick. Or you could have a set cupcake like a dog or monkey that you could have everything precut such as ears and eyes and then show them how to "assemble" instead of letting them go hogwild with sprinkles and icing.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:29pm
post #4 of 9

I like the cupcake idea and you could teach them how to make duff roses. You just need some circle cutters and maybe small leaf cutter and fondant, some green and maybe a couple of colors for the leaves and roses. Pipe butter cream on the cupcake in a demo and then do the duff roses.

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 9

You could bring 2 blank fondant covered cakes, let the boys cut out a b c's and/or some other shapes of cookie cutters that you have and apply them to the blank cake and then let the girls make duff roses and apply them to the 2nd blank cake.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 12:26am
post #6 of 9

I'm thinking it will be utter chaos if you have 1st graders with rolling pins trying to roll out fondant and cut out circles without them sticking to the tables to make a duff rose or other decorations. Decorating cupcakes is a good idea, but maybe you could go with what jamawoops said ^^^ and have one or two pre-set designs. Maybe you could use the "Hello Cupcake" book for some ideas of animals you could make using other cookies, candies, etc. for the features of the animals.
They're just going to want to eat them anyway...

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 2:14am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaS

I was thinking about maybe teaching them how to make a simple fondant rose or something.....

Yea, I like your idea. Just let them play with fondant, it'll be just like playing with Play-doh and easy to clean up between sessions.

lisa198107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa198107 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 2:59am
post #8 of 9

For my daughters kindergarten class I brought in a large crocodile iced in green buttercream and cut out a bunch of green circles prior to the class and let them all have their hand at putting them on the cake (the scales of the crocodile). The kids loved the crocodile and loved to be part of making it. You can see the crocodile in my gallery to know what I am talking about.

donnlara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnlara Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 3:08am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa198107

For my daughters kindergarten class I brought in a large crocodile iced in green buttercream and cut out a bunch of green circles prior to the class and let them all have their hand at putting them on the cake (the scales of the crocodile). The kids loved the crocodile and loved to be part of making it. You can see the crocodile in my gallery to know what I am talking about.

Super cute idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%