6 " Gum Paste Dog Help Please :)

Decorating By mareg Updated 4 Jan 2012 , 3:27pm by Debbye27

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a 6 to 7 inch lab for a cake topper. Has any body made one or can you give advice?
Thanks so much

4 replies
BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 5

mareg,i haven't done a lab,but i did do two bichon dogs for a grooms cake topper. they were about 5 inches high. they were not all gumpaste though,i molded the body from RKT's,then covered with modeling choc and then added fondant where needed.the couple really liked them,and said they looked like little porcelain figurines. i didn't post them,because i didn't think they would allow me to,since the base or inside was made from rkt's.

cangela4re Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cangela4re Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 7:42am
post #3 of 5

Heres a site I found with lots of examples of dogs in fondant (think theres a lab there too)
http://bigfatcook.com/tipsntricks/fondantmagic/fondant-animals-dog/

Also...I know Ive seen several tutorials on youtube about making dogs, hope this helps cuz Im planning on going there if I ever get a request for one!

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I made a head and body yesterday out of RKT. I don't have chocolate so I'm going to cover it with a light coat if BC then the fondant. Any ideas for shading? I don't have an airbrush.

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 5

you can paint them, if you mix food coloring with small amounts of vodka or lemon extract- be careful to let dry before doing another color so they don't smear.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%