New Kitchen Questions ???

Decorating By ReneeFLL Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 11:38pm by melanie-1221

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 4

We are getting a new kitchen this month. I have already bought the appliances. What I am wondering is there anyone who had new kitchen cabinets put in and what do you like and what would you do over or dislike?

Also, I have not yet decided if I am going with a granite counter top or a composite such as Silestone. Any thoughts on these? How often do you have to reseal your granite? I dont use a mat under my work. I cut with the pizza cutter directly on the countertop when working with fondant. I am wondering which one will hold up better.
TIA

3 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 4

Congrats on your new kitchen!
I had mine done 2 years ago and it is SUCH a wonderful feeling!
I have a small kitchen , so I went with a cream colored antique washed cabinet and they make my kitchen look HUGE and bright without being too bold! I also did away with a center island and went with a table. More comfortable seating and I can always get a new table for a different look.
Go for the granite, I love, love, love mine. Nothing will scratch it ( except for diamonds) I cut directly on it, you can take blazing hot pans right off the stove and set them on it, and when I do pastry, it keeps the dough chilled and workable longer. Not to mention looks so nice . I went with the granite Home Depot offers, can't remember the name, but it does not need to be resealed. It's maintenance free.
thumbs_up.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 4

I'm getting my counters next week!!!! I'm having my bar knocked out so instead of a counter and breakfast bar it will be just a big counter, hope i explained it right. It's supposed to feel and look bigger. this is the only thing i changed on my kitchen and i highly recommend it.

melanie-1221 I love your blog. i tried to post a comment on it but didn't find the place to click. so here it is, hope you read it. try melting candy melts on top and bottom of the cupcake pan. fill the bottom with treats like gold coins or if it's a girl put little hair bows and stuff. then glue the top and bottom together. that way she will actually smash her way in to the treats or eat her way through.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much!
That is a GREAT idea for a smash cake! I'm going to give it a try the next one I have to do.
Enjoy your new counters! I remember after they installed mine I would wake up in the night just to go out and look at them. Plus the extra workspace you have created will be wonderful! Enjoy , enjoy, enjoy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

I'm getting my counters next week!!!! I'm having my bar knocked out so instead of a counter and breakfast bar it will be just a big counter, hope i explained it right. It's supposed to feel and look bigger. this is the only thing i changed on my kitchen and i highly recommend it.

melanie-1221 I love your blog. i tried to post a comment on it but didn't find the place to click. so here it is, hope you read it. try melting candy melts on top and bottom of the cupcake pan. fill the bottom with treats like gold coins or if it's a girl put little hair bows and stuff. then glue the top and bottom together. that way she will actually smash her way in to the treats or eat her way through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%