Help: Imbc And Smbc Recipe? Best One?

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 9 Oct 2012 , 5:38pm by KatrinaBroughton

LisaPeps Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 7:07pm
post #31 of 37

Yes it can be used under fondant you just have to chill the buttercream really well once it's on the cake then apply the fondant.

AnnieCahill Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 8:43pm
post #32 of 37

Julie,

Go to YouTube.com and look up Warren Brown Italian Meringue Buttercream. That is the recipe I use.

Make sure you use unsalted butter, and I use 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla extract.

Annie

Rosie2 Posted 26 Jan 2012 , 10:10pm
post #33 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Julie,

Go to YouTube.com and look up Warren Brown Italian Meringue Buttercream. That is the recipe I use.

Make sure you use unsalted butter, and I use 2-3 tablespoons of vanilla extract.

Annie

Yes, that's the recipe I used and is totally amazing. Since it was my first time making it, at one point, I panicked when I added the butter and my beautiful mix diflated icon_cry.gif but then I continued whipping and wallaaaa! it came back to life and I got perfect IMBC!!!! icon_smile.gif

Juliegre Posted 27 Jan 2012 , 1:53am
post #34 of 37

Thanks you!!!!

KatrinaBroughton Posted 8 Oct 2012 , 1:19pm
post #35 of 37

I use recipes from Cake Bible and also from Bonnie Gordon's school in Toronto (they use a standard SMBC recipe).

Does anyone find its harder to make IMBC a cleaner and smoother finish compared to SMBC given its a bit firmer?

Also check out the free Buttercream cakes lesson on Craftsy. I found it really helpful, and its free!

Rosie2 Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 5:24pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaBroughton

I use recipes from Cake Bible

I have the Cake Bible book and I can not find the recipe for SMBC...does she calls it 'Silk BC' or something like that?? what page is it on??

KatrinaBroughton Posted 9 Oct 2012 , 5:38pm
post #37 of 37
Quote:
Quote:

I have the Cake Bible book and I can not find the recipe for SMBC...does she calls it 'Silk BC' or something like that?? what page is it on??

Sorry - to clarify I don't think the Cake Bible has an SMBC recipe - the IMBC recipe is Mousseline Buttercream (p244). I haven't tried the other buttercream recipes in the Cake Bible.

The SMBC recipe I use is:
200 g sugar
150 g egg whites (I use egg whites from a carton)
2 cups (1 lb) softened unsalted butter
1 tsp vanilla
Dissolve egg whites and sugar in mixer bowl over double boiler to 55-60 C, stiring constantly. Whisk egg whites on medium high to medium stiff peaks - ensure whites are completely cooled. Add butter in chunks, then vanilla.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%