Hershey Chocolate Cake

Baking By TheRedCooky Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 9:28pm by auzzi

TheRedCooky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheRedCooky Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 3:52am
post #1 of 6

How come using sour cream instead of the milk makes the hershey cake more stable and not sink?

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 4:06am
post #2 of 6

Glad i seen this, Can,t wait for this answer myself. Always learn something on this site.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 4:51am
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedCooky

How come using sour cream instead of the milk makes the hershey cake more stable and not sink?

I didn't know that it did. I've always found the weather to be the deciding factor in whether it sinks or not. If sour cream works, I'm in!

esangston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
esangston Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 10:17am
post #4 of 6

This may or may not be correct but I would guess it has something to do with the acidity of sour cream mixing with the baking soda/powder/salt. There may be a more exact conversion to sub it out. I was looking at conversions tonight and it listed yogurt for sour cream but had a lil note that if necessary you can use milk... Maybe you could try using buttermilk or the milk with lemon juice trick for when you dont have sour cream.

Pulling off my chemistry background for this answer and not my baking background lol

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 6

Could it be that the mixture is not as thin with the more solid sour cream?

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 6

It depends which Hershey Chocolate cake recipe you are referring to ..
It depends which leaveners the recipe uses ..
It depends on the availability of an acid ingredient to balance the sour cream ..
Also ..
Sour cream has significantly more butterfat than milk, buttermilk, and yoghurt ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%