Need Help With Staircase Tiers, Please

Decorating By Motta Updated 5 Jan 2012 , 6:10pm by Motta

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!
Happy New Year! I have a wedding cake to do in February and it's based on a Maggie Austin design. I'll try to post the photo here or a link. It's the one with one tier wrapped entirely in pearls. My bride wants only 3 tiers.

http://warmgrey5.blogspot.com/2011/09/maggie-austin-cake.html

My question is - I'm worried about the cake falling to one side due to all the tiers making a staircase effect. I am being paranoid? Is this achievable with just dowels and a centre dowel or is this only achievable with Cake Stackers?

Thanks a lot! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Jan 2012 , 4:15am
post #2 of 5

I've done a cake just like this - stair step design. I used a lot of dowels, plus a center dowel that was glued to a hole in the wooden baseplate. I sharpened the top tip, cut holes in the foamcore cake boards before putting each cake on them then thread the boards and cakes on the central dowel after it's finish coated and chill. chill, chill. Happy New Year.

Motta Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

Hi Denise,
Thank you for the advice! I didn't get a notice that anyone replied so I forgot to check on this topic for the last few days. I really appreciate that you have done it before. I like the idea of a glued centre dowel and threading the cakes through.

Did you assemble the cake on site? I usually deliver cakes fully assembled but this one is making me think that's not a great idea......On the other hand, if anything goes wrong, I'd prefer to be in my kitchen to do repair work.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 5

It will be a little side-heavy, but I've done several of these. Always with SPS for support.

Motta Posted 5 Jan 2012 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Leah. So you assembled it with SPS and delivered it? If so, any delivery tips?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%