Flavor Combo Menu Or Ind. Flavors List? Which Works For You?

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 11:33pm by jason_kraft

Swede-cakes Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 4

Our website currently has the list of cake flavors we offer, split into two categories. Filling and finishes are listed separately. Most clients like this.

But I've been thinking about the type of menu that lists a complete cake combo instead. Their clients just choose the combo for their party or wedding cake tiers after tasting those samples, and that's that. ("I'll have the "Lemon-Almond Supreme" for the top tier, and the Black Forest Cake for the other two tiers")

Which do you have and how does it work for you? Do you find that a "complete cake" description makes it easier for your clients to make flavor decisions? Does it also make it more cut and dry (not a great word when talking cake, but you know what I mean!) so that it streamlines your baking schedule?

Am I even asking this question in a coherent way? ... I'll check back for responses after a cuppa joe. Lol!

3 replies
melanie-1221 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:31pm
post #2 of 4

I started out doing entire cake flavors, I offered filling and cake combinations.
I found that didn't work for me, I had many clients wanting 'substitutions', "Can I have the deep chocolate cake with the raspberry cream instead of the whipped chocolate ganache" etc...to the point I discovered just about everyone was " having it their way " and I was making very few of my cake combinations.
Now I have a list of cake flavors, a list of fillings, and a list of icings and they can do it a la carte. My consultation time has been cut in half, and it's less confusing.
This is what works for me, but there are other bakers in my area offering the entire cake combo and they do just fine.

idreamincupcakes Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 4

I do both! I list the fillings and frosting, so customers could assemble their own, and also list a few favorite combinations.

jason_kraft Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by idreamincupcakes

I do both! I list the fillings and frosting, so customers could assemble their own, and also list a few favorite combinations.

We also do both, I put together a list of popular combinations by flavor (vanilla, chocolate, citrus, spice, etc.) since we had people constantly asking for recommendations on which flavor combinations would work best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%