Mm Fondant

Baking By chelsea_cristine Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 1:13am by Vista

chelsea_cristine  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelsea_cristine Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 11

so I've been making some mm fondant and i don't know what i'm doing wrong because its just breaking apart! it doesn't feel too dry or anything but it just basically cracks! i think it might be the food coloring im using but i thought it was the right kind. it is the Wilton icing color. i am new to this and really want to learn so any help would be appreciated. even if its a new type of recipe. thank you

10 replies
 dec3  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dec3 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 11

MMF does crack very easily. I have found that keeping it dusted with powdered sugar will help. Cooking spray will help too, but don't use a lot because it will alter the taste of the MMF.
Hope this helps!

Debbye27  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:43am
post #3 of 11

How are you applying the fondant? I have a vinyl mat ($26 on amazon.com) I have had wonderful results with this mat, I grease it lightly with shortening, and knead up my fondant -once it's ready I roll out the fondant on this shortening mat and then flip the mat over on top of my cake, the shortening side up. I don't have problems with cracks - I found the DVD Flawless Fondant to be very helpful, and very detailed. I use homemade mmf too.

chelsea_cristine Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

How are you applying the fondant? I have a vinyl mat ($26 on amazon.com) I have had wonderful results with this mat, I grease it lightly with shortening, and knead up my fondant -once it's ready I roll out the fondant on this shortening mat and then flip the mat over on top of my cake, the shortening side up. I don't have problems with cracks - I found the DVD Flawless Fondant to be very helpful, and very detailed. I use homemade mmf too.

the fondant is cracking and breaking even before i put it on the cake. ive tried about four different variations of the same basic recipe and i keep having the same type of results! i have a mat that i use too so im not sure what im doing wrong! i had no problems with the fondant i bought pre-made so. any ideas of what i can change

jeartist  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 11

Maybe you aren't kneading it enough before trying to roll it out.

LisaPeps  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 11

Are you over cooking the marshmallows? Adding too much PS? If its neither of those you could try adding a bit of corn syrup or a bit of glycerine and that should help.

I would recommend trying Michelle Fosters Fondant. If you are going to be making your own anyway, that one is soooo much better than marshmallow fondant. It's a bit messier and uses more ingredients but the quality and taste is worth it.

NcLeora  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NcLeora Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 11

Sometimes I have that same problem too...I'm not a mmf expert, but what I have done in those instances is to try to work in a little bit more water. Like...just get your hands wet and knead the dickens out of it, and you may have to sprinkle it with a little more powdered sugar. That usually works for me, and I never use powdered sugar when rolling out or kneading mmf, I always use shortening. With pre-made fondant, powdered sugar works better for me, but shortening with mmf, imo. good luck icon_smile.gif

chelsea_cristine Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 11

thank you so much for all the tips! i thought maybe i was over kneading it but ill just try the Michelle foster recipe!

LisaPeps  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 11

With the Michelle foster recipe, you have to make it the night before. Do not add too much PS, you want it to be a mass but still sticky and it will still spread out when you wrap it up. Leave it over night and it will be a workable fondant in the morning. It's better to add extra PS in the morning than over add on the night. If that makes sense?

CakeItGood  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeItGood Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:48am
post #10 of 11

Not an expert on this by any means, as I normally buy fondarific or Satin Ice. However, yesterday I found myself running out of the regular fondant and had a project to finish. I made MMF, but it did turn out kind of crumbly. It comes together fine when it is microwaved with shortening kneaded in, and made very nice pearls on the cake I just posted in my profile. But it hardened too easily and probably would not be workable for rolling out. So there must be a trick that I am missing!

Vista  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 1:13am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeItGood

Not an expert on this by any means, as I normally buy fondarific or . However, yesterday I found myself running out of the regular fondant and had a project to finish. I made MMF, but it did turn out kind of crumbly. It comes together fine when it is microwaved with shortening kneaded in, and made very nice pearls on the cake I just posted in my profile. But it hardened too easily and probably would not be workable for rolling out. So there must be a trick that I am missing!

If it is crumbly or dry and cracking you need more moisture. I prefer to add corn syrup or glycerine. I find that microwaving it multiple times to soften it dries it out more and I have to add more liquid to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%