Mm Fondant

Baking By chelsea_cristine Updated 2 Jan 2012 , 1:13am by Vista

chelsea_cristine Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 2:50am
post #1 of 11

so I've been making some mm fondant and i don't know what i'm doing wrong because its just breaking apart! it doesn't feel too dry or anything but it just basically cracks! i think it might be the food coloring im using but i thought it was the right kind. it is the Wilton icing color. i am new to this and really want to learn so any help would be appreciated. even if its a new type of recipe. thank you

10 replies
dec3 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:04am
post #2 of 11

MMF does crack very easily. I have found that keeping it dusted with powdered sugar will help. Cooking spray will help too, but don't use a lot because it will alter the taste of the MMF.
Hope this helps!

Debbye27 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 3:43am
post #3 of 11

How are you applying the fondant? I have a vinyl mat ($26 on amazon.com) I have had wonderful results with this mat, I grease it lightly with shortening, and knead up my fondant -once it's ready I roll out the fondant on this shortening mat and then flip the mat over on top of my cake, the shortening side up. I don't have problems with cracks - I found the DVD Flawless Fondant to be very helpful, and very detailed. I use homemade mmf too.

chelsea_cristine Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:00pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbye27

How are you applying the fondant? I have a vinyl mat ($26 on amazon.com) I have had wonderful results with this mat, I grease it lightly with shortening, and knead up my fondant -once it's ready I roll out the fondant on this shortening mat and then flip the mat over on top of my cake, the shortening side up. I don't have problems with cracks - I found the DVD Flawless Fondant to be very helpful, and very detailed. I use homemade mmf too.

the fondant is cracking and breaking even before i put it on the cake. ive tried about four different variations of the same basic recipe and i keep having the same type of results! i have a mat that i use too so im not sure what im doing wrong! i had no problems with the fondant i bought pre-made so. any ideas of what i can change

jeartist Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 11

Maybe you aren't kneading it enough before trying to roll it out.

LisaPeps Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 11

Are you over cooking the marshmallows? Adding too much PS? If its neither of those you could try adding a bit of corn syrup or a bit of glycerine and that should help.

I would recommend trying Michelle Fosters Fondant. If you are going to be making your own anyway, that one is soooo much better than marshmallow fondant. It's a bit messier and uses more ingredients but the quality and taste is worth it.

NcLeora Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 11

Sometimes I have that same problem too...I'm not a mmf expert, but what I have done in those instances is to try to work in a little bit more water. Like...just get your hands wet and knead the dickens out of it, and you may have to sprinkle it with a little more powdered sugar. That usually works for me, and I never use powdered sugar when rolling out or kneading mmf, I always use shortening. With pre-made fondant, powdered sugar works better for me, but shortening with mmf, imo. good luck icon_smile.gif

chelsea_cristine Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 5:42pm
post #8 of 11

thank you so much for all the tips! i thought maybe i was over kneading it but ill just try the Michelle foster recipe!

LisaPeps Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 7:39pm
post #9 of 11

With the Michelle foster recipe, you have to make it the night before. Do not add too much PS, you want it to be a mass but still sticky and it will still spread out when you wrap it up. Leave it over night and it will be a workable fondant in the morning. It's better to add extra PS in the morning than over add on the night. If that makes sense?

CakeItGood Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 12:48am
post #10 of 11

Not an expert on this by any means, as I normally buy fondarific or Satin Ice. However, yesterday I found myself running out of the regular fondant and had a project to finish. I made MMF, but it did turn out kind of crumbly. It comes together fine when it is microwaved with shortening kneaded in, and made very nice pearls on the cake I just posted in my profile. But it hardened too easily and probably would not be workable for rolling out. So there must be a trick that I am missing!

Vista Posted 2 Jan 2012 , 1:13am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeItGood

Not an expert on this by any means, as I normally buy fondarific or . However, yesterday I found myself running out of the regular fondant and had a project to finish. I made MMF, but it did turn out kind of crumbly. It comes together fine when it is microwaved with shortening kneaded in, and made very nice pearls on the cake I just posted in my profile. But it hardened too easily and probably would not be workable for rolling out. So there must be a trick that I am missing!

If it is crumbly or dry and cracking you need more moisture. I prefer to add corn syrup or glycerine. I find that microwaving it multiple times to soften it dries it out more and I have to add more liquid to it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%