Avoiding Drips When Using Steamer On Fondant

Decorating By lstalder Updated 3 Jan 2012 , 3:47am by lstalder

lstalder Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 4

I like the shiny look that I get when I use a steamer on a fondant cake but no matter how hard I try, I always seem to get some drips of water on the cake which I've been unsuccessful in drying up so it makes a mark. Any ideas on how to avoid this? I have a small clothing steamer from Wal Mart that has a canister with a hose and end piece that extends from it that I hold. Is there a special technique I should be using? Thanks

3 replies
abchambers Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 4

Found a couple of articles that might be of use.

This one is for an iron, but possibly could still be a troubleshooting guide for just a steamer. Maybe if you google your exact brand/product there could be a more specific guide: http://www.ehow.com/about_6497256_steam-iron-leak_.html

Also found a steamer sock. Maybe its possible to put panty hose over the end to save $15??? Worth a shot I suppose:
https://www.clothingdoctor.info/products/Steamer-Sock-%252d-Stops-Water-Drops-%283-Pak%29.html

Hope this helps!

esangston Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 2:33am
post #3 of 4

My steamer is a shark handheld (scored for under $20 lol otherwise I wouldn't have it) and it has a trigger. I noticed the drops and have found ways to avoid them. Turn the steamer on, let it sit for about 10 min. Do a could of sprays away from the cake, then I pump it a good few times to get it flowing... That's when I spray my cakes. And I never put the steamer tip Any closer than 8in if you leave the steamer sitting for more than a couple of minutes, be sure to do the clearing spray. The water getting onto the cake is usually water that was left over in the steamer nozzle.

And if you don't have a shark, trust me they are amazing. I actually bought 2 so I could have 1 for cakes and 1 for cleaning. I found them on 1saleaday.com which changes their sales every day. I've seen them on there at least once a month. Usually for 12.99 with either free shipping or $5 shipping. My shark also has attachments so that I can direct the steam without tipping the steamer over. Which I think was also causing some spots.

lstalder Posted 3 Jan 2012 , 3:47am
post #4 of 4

I appreciate the good ideas. Here's to no more drips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%