Textured Buttercream Wedding Cake Tips

Decorating By bellacakecreations Updated 31 Dec 2011 , 6:00am by bellacakecreations

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys just a quick question for anybody doing wedding cakes. I have a customer who wants a round 3 tiered wedding cake with textured buttercream. The sample pic they brought looks like is was iced and spread with a spatula. I was just looking for tips on how to make it look "clean" I know the point is sort of a messy look but I don't want it to look like it's just slopped on. Any tips? Also should I be looking at doing a 3-4" difference between the tiers (instead of 12-10-8 maybe 14-11-icon_cool.gif Would that help?

Thanks so much for any help icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 6

You can use a spatula or the back of a spoon for homestyle-iced cakes.

Personally, I like 4" differences between tier sizes (like 14x10x6), but you really need to choose sizes based on how many servings are required. Typical top tiers are 6" unless you need to accommodate for an extra large topper.

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 6

I recently did a texturized wedding cake just like this. I have a picture of it in my gallery (it's the 3-tier with flowers and a B monogram topper). I basically followed the same procedure I always do (crumb coat, and then a couple of extra coats with drying time in between), except I obviously don't spend a lot of time "perfecting" the smooth texture. Instead of using a bench scraper on the sides, I just use a spatula to texturize. The main thing I focus on is making sure the edges are even, but really a little bit of imperfection on that looks like its suppose to be that way!

abchambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abchambers Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 6

Oh and I also used a 12, 10, 8 combo

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 6

Honestly, even if there is a need for an 8" topper, to me it looks like someone forgot to put the 6" on it. It looks awkward, unless there is a tall topper on it.

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 6:00am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips and nice cake abchambers. I spoke to the bride this morning but I haven't met with her yet. So I will have to see what the topper looks like. She also said it needed to feed 100-125 so I need to iron that out with her. A one year anniversary cake is included in the cost so the top tier will be served as well. I am thinking either a 14-10-6 or 12-10-8-6. I really appreciate all the help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%