Chocolate, German Choc, & Devils Food...difference?

Baking By sleepy20520 Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm by wafawafa

sleepy20520 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 6:33am
post #1 of 6

So, can anyone tell me the difference between chocolate cake, German Chocolate cake & Devils Food Cake?
I know germ choc has pecan/coconut filling... and ive had all 3 kinds but never been able to taste a difference.
can anyone tell me? also do you have any good recipes, that can be used in stacking (wedding cakes)?
i have a customer (friend) who wants to help me help her by letting me do her wedding cake... apparently shes a big chocolate lover and said she wants all 3.... so im assuming she can tell the difference.
Any help would be awesome!

5 replies
FromScratchSF Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:02am
post #2 of 6

Regular chocolate is a mild chocolate cake generally made with just cocoa powder. Devil's food is generally made with melted chocolate and may have the tang of sour cream, is very moist and very chocolate-y. Either recipes can be butter or oil based. German chocolate is normally a dryer, less sweet (by American standards) traditional sponge specifically served with a sweet condensed milk coconut pecan icing and maybe ganache.

Making all three 3 in a wedding cake is frankly completely nuts. Non-cake people will not be able to tell the difference one way or the other. Heck, I'm not even totally sure I'm correct, except I've studied a billion chocolate cake recipes and those seem to be the major differences I can find between them (except the German chocolate cake, that one is pretty traditional). So if I were you I'd do one recipe for the cake (Devil's food, he crowd pleaser) but have different styles of icing if that's what she wants.

FromScratchSF Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:05am
post #3 of 6

Oh, and I was never a German chocolate cake lover until I recently made RLB's version from Heavenly Cakes. It's so freakin tasty I am adding it to my menu (with a few personal tweaks, of course!).

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0471781738/?tag=cakecentral-20

Ballymena Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 6

Color is the only difference in cake mixes. If you are making cakes from scratch I have substituted chocolate milk for the liquid and thrown in mini chocolate chips. Add the chocolate chips to the dry ingredients and stir the around so they get some flour on them. This stops them from sinking to the bottom.

jgifford Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 6

German chocolate is called that because the original chocolate used in this recipe was made by a gentleman named German. It's typically a lighter and dryer cake.

wafawafa Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 6

Bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%