Cake Tier Sizes Help & Pan Recommendation

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 5:32am by sillywabbitz

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 12:45am
post #1 of 4

I have only done a tiered cake a couple of times and both times it seemed as though my proportions were off. What is the typical sizes with a tiered cake? I'm thinking part of my problem is that my 8 and 9 in pans are only 2in deep so I have to stack them, so they end up actually taller than my 3in deep layers. Advice appreciated!! icon_smile.gif
Also, I've been using Wilton's pans and I see they don't carry an 8/9in pan that's 3in deep... what options do you recommend?

Thanks!

3 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 1:35am
post #2 of 4

I prefer using 2 of the 2" layers. for each tier. I level them in the pans before I even take them out so they are all the exact height. Once filled and stacked I use a measuring tape to check the height of each tier and use a level on top to make sure it's flat and even.

I bought the Wilton performance round pan set it has 8-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch, 14-inch pans that are 3" deep. I don't care too much for them though icon_sad.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:30am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisies

I have only done a tiered cake a couple of times and both times it seemed as though my proportions were off. What is the typical sizes with a tiered cake? I'm thinking part of my problem is that my 8 and 9 in pans are only 2in deep so I have to stack them, so they end up actually taller than my 3in deep layers. Advice appreciated!! icon_smile.gif
Also, I've been using Wilton's pans and I see they don't carry an 8/9in pan that's 3in deep... what options do you recommend?

Thanks!

Typical layer cakes are 4" high (two 2" layers). Most serving charts are based on this, so it's typical to stack two layers per tier. (Of course, they'll be taller than a single-layer 3" tall cake, which is why I wouldn't recommend using 3" deep pans unless you're making 6" extra tall tiers.)

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:32am
post #4 of 4

I agree with Melanie, most bakers bake 2 layers of each pan size. This means each tier will be about 4 inches in height. I too don't like my 3 inch pan.

Also as far as stacking proportions I prefer 3 or 4 inch difference between each tier size so I would do a 9 inch bottom tier with a 6 inch top tier, each tier being 4 inches tall. You can do a two inch difference but it doesn't give you much of a ledge to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%