How Do I Make Things Shiny Or Look Like Plastic?

Decorating By klamb17 Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 11:44pm by ReneeFLL

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a baby shower cake and I have made some baby keys on a ring. I want to make the keys look like plastic, or shiny I guess. I have seen on the cake shows they use steam, how do I do this? or I guess what is the best way? Also will they be sticky after this or able to handle?

thanks!

6 replies
melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 11:26pm
post #2 of 7

I've never used steam, I rub my accents with a very small amount of vegetable oil shortly before delivery. Easy, fast , and works well when I'm just doing small accents on the cake.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:07am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie-1221

I've never used steam, I rub my accents with a very small amount of vegetable oil shortly before delivery. Easy, fast , and works well when I'm just doing small accents on the cake.

I use shortening too - best plastic look. But PAM can also give it a shine. I have steamed for a more shiny look, but shortening is still better for plastic. You can also paint on confectioners glaze, but that looks a bit more 'glassy'.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 5:34am
post #4 of 7

You can make a shiny glaze using corn syrup and vodka, I use about a 40/60 mix syrup/vodka but it will be shiny shiny.

klamb17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klamb17 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 7

I actually tried my steamer on my iron...works. lol

SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 7

We always use steam. We have a small steam machine that we found at Lowe's. It is normally used in the clothing business. It has an 8 foot hose and a 2 gallon reservoir for the water.

We also bought a second one for things like the mattress and fabric furniture. Makes them all smell so very clean. We also found that the Shark steamer works great for cleaning our kitchen counter tops and work tables. Makes life a breeze for the tasks, especially the ovens.

Beth & Andrew
Cake Artists

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 7

I bought a small one at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%