Help--Smooth Finish With Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm by jemchina

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 11

I have someone who wants a baby Shower cake, but does not want it covered in buttercream or fondant, she wants it in Cream Cheese Frosting, I never get a completely smooth finish with Cream Cheese Frosting, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help with this?? Any recipes that will smooth better?? I use Cream Cheese, Butter, Powder Sugar, and Vanilla.

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 11

Ugh. I HATE final icing with cream cheese icing. Hot knife is the best method if you have to.

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 11

There is a recipe in CC for Decorator's Cream Cheese Icing. I'm trying it on Saturday on a RV cake. From the description, it is a crusting icing and should be able to smooth. Maybe someone here can comment on that.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 11

I use a crusting Buttercream frosting that has equal parts of butter and cream cheese. 8 oz of butter, 8 oz of cream cheese and powdered sugar...no vanilla. It smooths nicely. I don't use fondant. Only this. I let it get cold between layering on the frosting so there's a smooth hard base to add more frosting. I use a bench scraper to smooth and sometimes I will let it come to room temp (crusted of course) and run a small foam paint roller (melvira method) to smooth any bumps and get good edges.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 11

I just finished a 3 tier (in my photos ) that was cream cheese. I was having issues with smoothing so I decided to make the rough style. I was happy with how it turned out. The other photo is the harvest pic. I used the soft paint roller on it. The recipe I used is in cc recipes by edencakes. crusting cream cheese .I'm not as experienced as others but you might find this helpful.
Wendy

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 12:10am
post #6 of 11

I've used the Decorator Cream Cheese recipe on this site and Earlene's, both will crust enough to smooth very nicely.

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions!! I greatley appreciate it!!

mkmetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkmetz Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 11

I use a similar recipe of equal parts cream cheese and butter, then add vanilla and powdered sugar. I also add 1/4 cup whipping cream per stick of butter. This receipe crusts very well. I second doing a crumb coat, then putting in the refrigerator, then adding the final coat to the cold, smooth base of frosting. I finish with a bench scraper that I run hot water over and just shake a bit to dry. Good luck!

NavyGirl0918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavyGirl0918 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 11

I've found a great recipe for the cream cheese icing with the cool whip. Will it work to smooth it out on a cake? Or do I need to substitute or take out the cool whip? Thank you

NavyGirl0918 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavyGirl0918 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 11

ADo you use liquid whipping cream or cool whip. My recipe calls for cool whip but I'm not sure that I would be able to get it smooth or if will hold???? Please help, I have a sock monkey cake I'm doing for a friend this weekend and not sure if I want to do the cream cheese icing or the fondant? Thank you in advance

jemchina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jemchina Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 11

AHave you tried adding a bit of meringue powder for it to crust lightly. I also always reserve a bit of my cheese Cream maybe about 2 oz, depending on batch size. Then add it at the very end to mix through any air bubbles. I get a smoother BC this way

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%