Help--Smooth Finish With Cream Cheese Frosting

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 7 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm by jemchina

Jody130 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 11

I have someone who wants a baby Shower cake, but does not want it covered in buttercream or fondant, she wants it in Cream Cheese Frosting, I never get a completely smooth finish with Cream Cheese Frosting, does anyone have any tips or suggestions to help with this?? Any recipes that will smooth better?? I use Cream Cheese, Butter, Powder Sugar, and Vanilla.

10 replies
KoryAK Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 11

Ugh. I HATE final icing with cream cheese icing. Hot knife is the best method if you have to.

jeartist Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 11

There is a recipe in CC for Decorator's Cream Cheese Icing. I'm trying it on Saturday on a RV cake. From the description, it is a crusting icing and should be able to smooth. Maybe someone here can comment on that.

carmijok Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 11

I use a crusting Buttercream frosting that has equal parts of butter and cream cheese. 8 oz of butter, 8 oz of cream cheese and powdered vanilla. It smooths nicely. I don't use fondant. Only this. I let it get cold between layering on the frosting so there's a smooth hard base to add more frosting. I use a bench scraper to smooth and sometimes I will let it come to room temp (crusted of course) and run a small foam paint roller (melvira method) to smooth any bumps and get good edges.

funtodecorate2 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 11

I just finished a 3 tier (in my photos ) that was cream cheese. I was having issues with smoothing so I decided to make the rough style. I was happy with how it turned out. The other photo is the harvest pic. I used the soft paint roller on it. The recipe I used is in cc recipes by edencakes. crusting cream cheese .I'm not as experienced as others but you might find this helpful.

FullHouse Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 12:10am
post #6 of 11

I've used the Decorator Cream Cheese recipe on this site and Earlene's, both will crust enough to smooth very nicely.

Jody130 Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you everyone for all your help and suggestions!! I greatley appreciate it!!

mkmetz Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 11

I use a similar recipe of equal parts cream cheese and butter, then add vanilla and powdered sugar. I also add 1/4 cup whipping cream per stick of butter. This receipe crusts very well. I second doing a crumb coat, then putting in the refrigerator, then adding the final coat to the cold, smooth base of frosting. I finish with a bench scraper that I run hot water over and just shake a bit to dry. Good luck!

NavyGirl0918 Posted 4 Oct 2013 , 11:26pm
post #9 of 11

I've found a great recipe for the cream cheese icing with the cool whip. Will it work to smooth it out on a cake? Or do I need to substitute or take out the cool whip? Thank you

NavyGirl0918 Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 11

ADo you use liquid whipping cream or cool whip. My recipe calls for cool whip but I'm not sure that I would be able to get it smooth or if will hold???? Please help, I have a sock monkey cake I'm doing for a friend this weekend and not sure if I want to do the cream cheese icing or the fondant? Thank you in advance

jemchina Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 10:49pm
post #11 of 11

AHave you tried adding a bit of meringue powder for it to crust lightly. I also always reserve a bit of my cheese Cream maybe about 2 oz, depending on batch size. Then add it at the very end to mix through any air bubbles. I get a smoother BC this way

Quote by @%username% on %date%