Refurbishing A Kitchenaid Mixer

Decorating By kimbm04r Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 4:49pm by Annabakescakes

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 15

I have one that is about 25 years old that I would like to have refurbished. I have to have it on high speed to get any speed out of it and since I got a Cuisinart for Christmas I can finally send it in. Has anyone ever sent theirs in to be refurbished? What was you experience, cost?

Thanks

14 replies
Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 15

I have never had one refurbished but I bought one refurbished 12 years ago that has never given me trouble. I bought two more this year and was concerned about a grinding sound they made but over Christmas weekend I used one I bought brand new for my grandma and it sounded just like mine. I guess that is just what they sound like so I have a renewed confidence in the ones I bought refurbished.

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 12:12am
post #3 of 15

I have never had one refurbished but I bought one refurbished 12 years ago that has never given me trouble. I bought two more this year and was concerned about a grinding sound they made but over Christmas weekend I used one I bought brand new for my grandma and it sounded just like mine. I guess that is just what they sound like so I have a renewed confidence in the ones I bought refurbished.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 12:31am
post #4 of 15

I was wondering the same thing -- my K5 is maybe 15 years old and shows signs of needing an overhaul!! icon_biggrin.gif

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 2:16am
post #5 of 15

There is a YouTube video on diy tuning the mixer that may help with the speed issues. Guys name is tyler79durdan

Annabakescakes Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 2:42am
post #6 of 15

Actually, ereplacementparts on YouTube has quite a bit of videos on replacing the brushes, oiling and adjusting the beater to the proper position. Maybe more, I'm not sure but I am going to check it out more.

smallnmighty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smallnmighty Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 12:56pm
post #7 of 15

I'm lucky in this area. Hubby use to work for the company that repaired kitchen aids. So he keeps mi e going. I will ask him for you

newlook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newlook Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 15

I sent my kitchen aid 6 qt in to be fix and the cost was $180.00. That were going to offer me a use one for the same price a six quart also if i wanted it but I wanted to keep mine.. I am not sure as to what was wrong with it I dont have the paper work at this time but i do remember that most of the cost was in labor it runs great now .. I did burn it our mixing ss buttercream...It was only about five years old

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 1:53pm
post #9 of 15

You might want to check to make sure that they will repair a 25 year old mixer. Years ago I tried to have my mother's 32 year old kitchen aid repaired. They just laughted at me saying that the parts for it hadn't been made in years.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 15

I recently had mine repaired. Cost me $65. Call kitchenaid and ask about authorized repair centers in your area. That's how I found my guy. My machine is around 15yrs old.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 15

If there are any Hobart repair places near you, that's where I have mine fixed when I kill them.

LaWmn223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaWmn223 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 15

I found a great site that has repair manuals and hard to find parts for many different appliances including Kitchenaid.
http://www.mendingshed.com/kitaidparts.html

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 9:15pm
post #13 of 15

I couldn't find a local place when my 15 yr old KA recently quit on me. Wound up being a blessing, hubby watched a YouTube video and had it fixed in less than 30 min and without needing to even buy any parts. He took it apart, cleared something out and its good as new (until I tipped it over and bent the switch, but then he fixed that too).

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 1:21am
post #14 of 15

Thanks for all the replies. I have actually watched several of the You Tube videos and I think they will help a lot. I was afraid they would want almost as much to refurbish it as it would cost to buy a new one.

Thanks again.

Annabakescakes Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 4:49pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbm04r

Thanks for all the replies. I have actually watched several of the You Tube videos and I think they will help a lot. I was afraid they would want almost as much to refurbish it as it would cost to buy a new one.

Thanks again.

Good for you! I think it is absolutely worth taking a chance if it can save you $180!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%