Logistics Help (New Year's Cake Due Tomorrow)

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 29 Dec 2011 , 1:59am by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a New Year's cake for a client but I am leaving for a trip Friday morning. So, I have to have it completed and delivered by tomorrow afternoon.

I made a scratch coconut cake (recipe has sour cream, butter, whole milk, Coco Lopez), torted it to 4 layers with 3 layers of Swiss meringue buttercream (Martha Stewart's recipe this time, and added some Coco Lopez to that). I typically cover in MMF and decorate with Royal Icing piping and fondant cutouts--I may also throw in some silver dragees or something similar.

My concern is, with the time from Thursday night to Saturday night, I *should* advise that she refrigerate until Saturday early evening (right?), but I'm concerned about the Royal Icing on the fondant! I know people mostly say fondant can be refrigerated without much trouble, but what about the decoration on top being royal icing!? Any condensation--even if it doesn't harm the fondant much--would definitely be a problem with the royal icing, wouldn't it?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

Thanks.

2 replies
QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

Do you want it in the fridge cause of the SMBC? It should be fine on the counter until Saturday. I wouldn't put it in the fridge, but leave it out. Fondant is the most awesomest thing to incase cakes in! Keeps things fresh.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 1:59am
post #3 of 3

Great news! Thanks icon_smile.gif Yes, I was thinking about the SMBC--not necessarily spoiling, but getting soupy or losing its stability to hold up the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%