Logistics Help (New Year's Cake Due Tomorrow)

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 29 Dec 2011 , 1:59am by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 8:47pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a New Year's cake for a client but I am leaving for a trip Friday morning. So, I have to have it completed and delivered by tomorrow afternoon.

I made a scratch coconut cake (recipe has sour cream, butter, whole milk, Coco Lopez), torted it to 4 layers with 3 layers of Swiss meringue buttercream (Martha Stewart's recipe this time, and added some Coco Lopez to that). I typically cover in MMF and decorate with Royal Icing piping and fondant cutouts--I may also throw in some silver dragees or something similar.

My concern is, with the time from Thursday night to Saturday night, I *should* advise that she refrigerate until Saturday early evening (right?), but I'm concerned about the Royal Icing on the fondant! I know people mostly say fondant can be refrigerated without much trouble, but what about the decoration on top being royal icing!? Any condensation--even if it doesn't harm the fondant much--would definitely be a problem with the royal icing, wouldn't it?

Any thoughts would be very appreciated!

2 replies
QTCakes1 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 3

Do you want it in the fridge cause of the SMBC? It should be fine on the counter until Saturday. I wouldn't put it in the fridge, but leave it out. Fondant is the most awesomest thing to incase cakes in! Keeps things fresh.

lrlt2000 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 1:59am
post #3 of 3

Great news! Thanks icon_smile.gif Yes, I was thinking about the SMBC--not necessarily spoiling, but getting soupy or losing its stability to hold up the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%