Any Ideas How To Make Jungle Leaves?

Decorating By moochified Updated 30 Dec 2011 , 2:44pm by moochified

moochified Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moochified Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

My plan is to do an Alvin and the Chipmunks cake based on this scene:

http://www.fanpop.com/spots/the-chipettes/images/24564409/title/chipwrecked-photo

Any ideas on how to do the jungle leaves?

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

- Mooch

5 replies
grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 6

You could use a lily cutter, cut the lily out, then clip with scissors on the sides. Use a ball tool to slightly smooth out the edges.

moochified Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks GrandMomof1. What about for the long blades of grass?

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 29 Dec 2011 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 6

I have a clay extruder where I can squeeze thin strings. Other than that, I wouldn't know.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

For the long blades of grass, I would skip making them edible - too delicate. Go to your local WalMart's floral department and get something called money grass. It comes in a big bunch and is plastic. Place a florist foam on the cake board in back of the rock and cover with moss then insert the tips of the money grass. If you had to make it edible the only thing I can think of is to cook angel hair pasta then remove from water and mix in with green food coloring and arrange on a piece of waxed paper in a slight curl until dry and stiff again. Make plenty because there will be a lot of breakage. Oh wait just had another idea. Wrap cloth covered wires with green florist tape or dye cloth covered wires green and insert into florist foam. Ok, I'm done now.

moochified Posted 30 Dec 2011 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for all the suggestions DeniseNH! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif
I would like to make it all edible, but if I can't, I can't. I'm going to give it more thought and may go the plastic route. Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%