Labeling Requirements For Tx Question

Business By cakeballsofi10 Updated 28 Dec 2011 , 1:10am by cakeballsofi10

cakeballsofi10 Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 3

There are a couple of sections on the proposed label requirements that I'm not understanding and was wondering if anyone can explain it to me. Thanks. It is listed below.

Proposed rules by DSHS for cottage food labeling:

(d) Labeling Requirements for Cottage Food Production Operations. All foods prepared by a cottage food production operation must be labeled.

(1) The label information shall include:

(A) the name and physical address of the cottage food production operation;

(B) the common or usual name of the product and an adequately descriptive statement of identity;

(C) if made from two or more ingredients, a list of ingredients in descending order of predominance by net weight, including a declaration of artificial color or flavor and chemical preservatives, if contained in the food;

(D) an accurate declaration of the net quantity of contents including metric measurements;

(E) allergen labeling shall comply with the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act of 2004 (FALCPA);

(F) the following statement: "Made in home kitchen, food is not inspected by the Department of State Health Services or a local health department" in at least the equivalent of 11-point font and in a color that provides a clear contrast to the background.

(2) Labels must be clearly legible and printed with durable, permanent ink.

(A) Ingredient statements shall be at 1/16 of an inch or larger.

Proposed - 5

(B) Ingredients shall include components of the ingredients.

(C) Net quantity of contents shall be separated from other text on the label and must be located in the bottom third of the label.

I don't understand 1C & D, 5B & C. What if I use box cake mix and ready made frosting, how do I list the ingredients on the label?

Thanks so much.

2 replies
kelleym Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 3

It's not relevant right now. These are just "proposed" and we're going to be mobilizing the troops against them being implemented as proposed, and our bill sponsor is also aware of these proposed rules. This process will be stretching into January and February. The only thing you are legally required to put on your label until such time is this:

"This food is not inspected by the state health department or a local health department."

cakeballsofi10 Posted 28 Dec 2011 , 1:10am
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much Kelley. I really pray it doesn't go through and we win the fight. I wanted to ask that question, but for some reason, I can't participate on Texas Baker's Bill anymore. And I really love the Cake Boss software.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%