Cvap Oven And Cupcakes

Baking By LIllybell23 Updated 17 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm by bonniekaye

LIllybell23 Posted 27 Dec 2011 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 2

I am making cupcakes at a local bakery cafe. The only oven that they have is a cvap oven which is an oven that has steam and is also a convection oven. I am not liking the way that they turn out. The top is hard a lot of the time and they tend to fall very easily. I was wondering if anyone had ever cooked cupcakes with this kind of oven? And if you had any tips for keeping them moist. They want the cupcakes to be completely from scratch so I would also appreciate any advice on making large batches of cupcakes from scratch. I am having a very hard time getting things to turn out consistently.
Thanks in advance!

1 reply
bonniekaye Posted 17 Jan 2012 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 2

I have a commercial convection oven in my shop. It was difficult learning how to use it to bake cakes, but I have solved my issues with that. Now I am starting to make cupcakes and they would not bake properly. Came out over done on the top and looked awful. I even bought 2 new regular stoves to put in the shop just to bake cupcakes. (They are still packed up in the trailer). Just for fun, I decided to try one more batch of cupcakes in the convection oven before I unpacked the new stoves. I put a heavy metal plate, like a cookie sheet, in front of the fan that is in the back wall of the oven. I left a bit of space between the metal pan and the fan. I set my oven to 250 and filled every shelf with cupcakes. I was amazed at how well they baked! They tops were perfect, nicely rounded with a slight dome and cooked perfectly. The problem was the fan blowing the hot air. The oven still heated evenly through out, but now it does not over cook and dry out the cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%