Needing Help With Airbrush Please!

Decorating By BakerChick21 Updated 25 Dec 2011 , 9:24pm by LisaBerczel

BakerChick21 Posted 24 Dec 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 2

I am wanting to get an airbrush for my cake decorating, but the only colors I am finding are gel colors, is there anyway to mix it with a liquid of some sort to get it thinner? I have heard you can do that with luster and pearl dusts, but didn't know if you could do that with gel. Any tips on this would be very helpful, thanks!

1 reply
LisaBerczel Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 2

Yes, you caaaaaaaan thin paste or gel colors for an airbrush. Hoever, I do NOT recommend this for beginners.

Airbrush is a technical dance between equipment and nozzle size, amount of air pressure, and thickness/lumpiness of the color you are wanting to use.

It is MUCH easier to learn airbrushing if you start out with products that were formulated for an airbrush. These products often include flow enhancers that do-it-yourself tinnning of gels or pearl dust concoctions will not have.

If you do go the do-it-yourself route, thin and mix the colors in small cups or shot glasses - NOT your airbrush. Some gel formulas will thin with water, some work better with alcohol. It again depend on the formula. Also, look for lumps and clumps that will clog your airbrush. Aim for a color that has the consistancy of 2% milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%