Cream Cheese Frosting Problem

Baking By BellaMiaCupcakes Updated 23 Dec 2011 , 10:30pm by Osgirl

BellaMiaCupcakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 6

so i attempted to make my own cream cheese frosting tonight and i followed the recipe...yet when it came time to but it on my cupcakes the frosting started to head south icon_cry.gif i made sure my cupcakes had cooled off so help please..below is the recipe.

1/2 stick butter
6oz cram cheese
1/4 vanilla
4 cups powder sugar sifted

5 replies
MamaBerry Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 6

I keep thinking it needs more powdered sugar in order for the frosting to hold its shape.

idreamincupcakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 6

Your amounts seem fine. When cream cheese is over beaten it doesn't maintain shape well. I place all ingredients in kitchen aid mixer, cover with a towel and beat medium to high until the mixer finishes thumping and shaking, and then I take a peek and it will be perfect. I have never timed it, but maybe a whole 2 minute process?

ButRCream Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 6

Give this one a try - it's one of my favs and hasn't failed me yet - it seems to always come out nicely for piping too - possibly due to using cold cream cheese?

Cream Cheese Frosting

16 oz. (two 8 oz. bars) cream cheese, cold
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
7 cups powdered sugar, measure then sift

With the mixer on a low speed, beat the cream cheese and butter till blended. Mix in vanilla extract. Slowly add the powdered sugar, a cup at a time. Once all the powdered sugar is added, increase to a higher speed to whip up the frosting till light and fluffy.

BellaMiaCupcakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 6

thank you so much icon_lol.gif i will def try theses tips...i live south korea so i try to keep my recipes simple its hard to find certin things her like unsalted butter.. icon_surprised.gif
ButRCream i will for sure be trying your recipe tommrow icon_biggrin.gif

Osgirl Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 10:30pm
post #6 of 6

That's the exact recipe I use and it always works really well. Maybe try adding just a little bit more powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%