To Those Who Have Had Sprinkles Cupcakes

Baking By idreamincupcakes Updated 4 Jan 2012 , 1:48am by sleepiesaturn

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 3:07am
post #1 of 9

I am wondering if the frosting is a cooked frosting? She describes it as an "ice cream" texture bc it's creamy. After thinking about it I was pondering cooked vs old fashioned? I don't really know what it's referred to as, but its made with crisco, Oleo, warmed milk, and sugar, (when I say old fashioned, bc my grandma used a recipe like that).

Thoughts?

8 replies
idreamincupcakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 9

Wow, a lot of viewings, but no one else has had these cupcakes to give even a guess?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 9

I've had them, I thought the frosting was nothing special, typical crisco powdered sugar frosting. Based on the 12 year olds they had working at the bakery I seriously doubt they make anything technical. I also have no clue what olestra is.

I say 12 year olds with sarcasm. They were really young though, and when I asked if they make the cupcakes from scratch I was told "Well, we have a really big mixer in the back". Lol

idreamincupcakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks FromScratchSF, the girls working both times I visited were also very young, perhaps there is a customer staff and a baking/decorating staff.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 10:35pm
post #5 of 9

I have never had sprinkles cupcakes as it a US company but I have had the chain called Crave here in my city and they really are not good at all..Both times the icing is super sweet and the cake dry.They are expensive as well.I guess when you get big and the recipes have to be made for mass amounts you lose the homemade taste.

fellascarpet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fellascarpet Posted 26 Dec 2011 , 11:14am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I've had them, I thought the frosting was nothing special, typical crisco powdered sugar frosting. Based on the 12 year olds they had working at the bakery I seriously doubt they make anything technical. I also have no clue what olestra is.

I say 12 year olds with sarcasm. They were really young though, and when I asked if they make the cupcakes from scratch I was told "Well, we have a really big mixer in the back". Lol

You are right dear, i agree with you..

katescakesbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katescakesbcs Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 8:46pm
post #7 of 9

I had listened to rants and raves from my husband's family about how wonderful Crave cupcakes were (this was while we were dating). I was NOT impressed when I tasted them. Their white cupcake (which is my favorite cake) was horrible. Dense and dry, no flavor at all. Their strawberry cupcake was not any better. I couldn't believe that his family would drive hours for these things!
Needless to say, after they tasted my cakes we haven't had Crave conversations since. YAY[/quote]

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 31 Dec 2011 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 9

I've had their cupcakes at two different locations and the icing was tasteless and the cake was dry. As for how its made it just tasted like american butter cream.

sleepiesaturn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepiesaturn Posted 4 Jan 2012 , 1:48am
post #9 of 9

I've never been to sprinkles but I can't imagine an American Buttercream being "creamy"...eww.
I don't think I'll go there now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%