Opinions On Tier Sizes?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 6:24pm by sillywabbitz

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 5:53am
post #1 of 4

Before I order more pans and then decide they weren't the sizes I needed....

This cake has been "growing". The bride initially said that an 8" round would be fine. (She is the opposite of bridezilla - and this cake is our gift to them so I have free reign other than she wants pink ribbon around the base of the cake(s). Anyway, I will be making some sheet cakes for the main cutting & serving, so amt of servings doesn't really matter - what I want is to make a cake that will be big enough to be "special". I was originally planning on doing a 5-7-9, but now that seems just too dinky. And now I have a hopefully-not-too-crazy idea of making a small castle for the top (there's a castle on her invitation and he says her wedding dress is a "princess" dress) - so I'm thinking that the 5" will be way too small to fit a castle on top. Sooooo - now I'm back trying to figure out what size pans I might need to order for this to make it all a bit bigger. I only have 5's, 7's, 8's, and 9's. But I'm willing to order 1 or two more sizes if necessary. If I got 11's, would that work? Using the 7-9-11 with a small castle top? (I could use the 5" for the castle then....)

3 replies
Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 6:58am
post #2 of 4

Ok, I couldn't wait. I just ordered 2 11". I hope it will all work!!! Now to just find a stand that will work and I can afford!

idreamincupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idreamincupcakes Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 4

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

I think a 7-9-11 will work fine. Depending on the design, I prefer more than a 2 inch difference between most of my tiers. Especially if I'm going to put flowers or accents around the edges. Doing a 3 inch difference or even a 4 gives me more room to play. A 6 -10 for example sounds like a lot but it only gives you a 2 inch border.

Here is a 6-10 I
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1922025/

vs a
6-8 for the top two tiers of this cake

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1591531/

If they don't need a ton of cake you could do the 5 inch castle on 8-11 with the castle being the "top tier"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%