Buttercream Consistancy Not Right

Baking By ginny7 Updated 22 Dec 2011 , 3:10am by DeniseNH

ginny7 Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 3:40am
post #1 of 4

I was trying to make the Poinsettia cupcakes but the tips of each leaf broke off about half way. I used Wilton's medium consistency recipe in the beginning, then thinned it out. I had the problem with both. Also, there seemed to be a lot of air bubbles in the frosting, was it whipped to fast or too long? HELP Please!
Thanks, ginny

3 replies
msulli10 Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 4

You might have incorporated too much air. You can try stirring your butter cream with a spoon or spatula to see if it breaks up the air bubbles. I also think you might need stiffer butter cream to make a poinsettia. Sometimes I add a bit of corn syrup to make the buttercream flow better.
Hope this helps.

kakeladi Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 1:34am
post #3 of 4

What tip # are you using? If a Wilton 65 thru 70 Have you 'opened' the tip? If there are bubbles in the icing, take a knife, cake spatula OR wire wisk & stir the icing (a bit on the slow side) in a figure 8.
You really don't need to thin the icing very much to get a good leaf - *especially* if you use tip 350 or 352.

DeniseNH Posted 22 Dec 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 4

I agree, you need a stiffer icing and sometimes it helps to twist the ends to prevent breakage - twist the end of the icing stream as you reach the point.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%