Pricing A Topsy Turvy Cake

Decorating By saucyred Updated 21 Dec 2011 , 11:49pm by sillywabbitz

saucyred Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hi. I just got my first request to do a topsy turvy cake for 25-30 people. I have attached a pic of what they are looking for. I've done quite a few fondant tiered cakes but from what I've researched, topsy turvy cakes are much more involved. Any tips on how to price for these cakes? Thanks!

5 replies
KoryAK Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 6

I charge $7.75 base price for tiered cakes and $8.25 base price for topsy turvy cakes. For this one, I'd charge $9. HTH

saucyred Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 6

Is that per serving?

jason_kraft Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 3:17am
post #4 of 6

Our base rate for multi-tier cakes is $5/serving, for that cake it would probably be around $8/serving.

Of course that doesn't really help you, since you need to first determine what your costs are, including ingredients, labor (based on an estimate of how long the cake will take * your hourly wage), and overhead. You also need to make sure it's legal in your state to sell cakes made in your home kitchen, if not you'll need to rent commercial space.

KoryAK Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry, yes, that's per serving.

sillywabbitz Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 6

Also are you planning on making it 3 tiers? A two tier cake would easily serve 25 (more in reality) because you would probably use a 6 inch top and a 9 or 10 inch bottom. If you add the 3rd tier they will have a ton of extra cake. That's fine if that's what they want but they pay for the servings of the cake...not the number of people at the party icon_wink.gif

Don't forget to include the pricing of your support structure. If this is your first topsy turvy you need to do a test run cake, even if it's just a smaller 2 tier. Topsy are tough. My first one completely crashed.

Tips of Topsy Turvy cakes:
No slippery fillings - only Buttercream or ganache between the layers
Use ganache under the fondant for a super stable cake
Get a really good support system...something like SPS is a good idea. There is enough pressure with the angles and the carve out that if your dowels are the least bit off you run a really big risk.

Good luck on your cakeicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%