I Need To Bake 100 6" Round Cakes ... Help!!

Decorating By grifisefeldafa Updated 25 Dec 2011 , 5:11pm by costumeczar

grifisefeldafa Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 12

So i need to bake 50, 6" round cakes for a sweet 16. How do i start? Do i need to buy 50 pans, do i rent them. When do i start?? omg i'm exited and nervous? pleas help! They are just buttercream and no decorations

11 replies
Debbye27 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 12

well, how many pans would you be able to fit in the oven?? probably 3 right? If that's the case, then I'd buy 9 pans, coat them well with cake release and while 3 are baking, the other 3 are cooling, and the next 3 are getting prepped for the oven. You could also do it with 6 pans, but then you're stuck waiting til the cakes cool and come out before you wash, recoat with cake release, and fill with batter again. To make life easy- 9 pans - my advice icon_smile.gif

Debbye27 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 12

Also- I make my own cake release - i combine 1 c flour, 1 c shortening, and 1/2 c veg oil - and coat my pans with this before baking- works like a dream everytime!! Good luck!!

icer101 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 12

HI, i am confused. Do you need to bake 100 or do you need to bake 50. You can bake , using a 12x18 sheet pan. Use a 6" cake ring(they come in all sizes) and cut them out of these sheet pans. hth My husband even made me some cake rings . I had bought a 6" one and needed an 8" one.

Toptier Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 9:52pm
post #5 of 12

Another option is to get disposable paper baking pans, this time of year you can get them as pannettone molds. Google N o v a c a r t for suppliers.

Annabakescakes Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 12

I think the disposable make the cake taste bit like wet cardboard, unless you use the aluminum ones. I can fit at least 6, 2 rows of 3, in a standard oven. I stagger them a bit for maximum airflow, and rotate if necessary. If you can afford it, using this method, I would have at least 12, but 18 would be awesome.

sillywabbitz Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 12

I would only buy what you could use. Also don't forget you can bake in advance and freeze. So if you didn't want to invest in so many pans (if you wouldn't use them later) then you could bake in stages and just wrap and freeze. Next question is how much freezer space do you haveicon_smile.gif

jason_kraft Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 12

I also recommend baking in advance and freezing, it will make things much easier.

jerry0503214 Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 2:21am
post #9 of 12

Also- I make my own cake release - i combine 1 c flour, 1 c shortening, and 1/2 c veg oil - and coat my pans with this before baking- works like a dream everytime!! Good luck!!

DeniseNH Posted 21 Dec 2011 , 3:27am
post #10 of 12

I think she means that she needs to bake two 6" cakes per cake with filling inbetween. 50 cakes 100 6" rounds. I would bake huge sheet cakes - put them together with filling then cut them out with a 6" round.

costumeczar Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 5:08pm
post #11 of 12

I second the sheets with the rounds cut out of them. You'll have some waste but it will save you loads of time in the long run. Also, you'd better think about how long you think it will take you, then DOUBLE it at least, because those individual cakes are a pain in the butt and take forever.

costumeczar Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 5:11pm
post #12 of 12

Just out of curiosity, is each cake for one person? You could probably do 4" or 5" cakes instead of 6" ones if they are. A two-layered 6" round will serve 8-10 people, so that's a lot of cake. If it's a sweet 16 party there's going to be a lot left over because teenage girls won't eat all that. If it's for boys there might not be as much left over, but that's still a lot of cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%