Fresh Flower Cake Top

Decorating By Devd Updated 23 Dec 2011 , 7:41pm by AZCouture

Devd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devd Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 3

Hello Everyone !!

Please share your experiences of working with fresh flowers on a cake. I couldn't find much information on net and I want to let everyone like me know how to work with fresh flowers and what precautions and measures we should take . Below is my experience.

Last week I did a cake for our anniversary and i wanted to incorporate fresh flower. After searching I bought a floral sponge from Michaels and let it float sink. The worst part is that floral sponge didn't sank at all, Because it was dry floral sponge . And i only got to know this when i bought that sponge.

After soaking the sponge how heavy it will be ? Does the cake need dowels to support the sponge and flowers ?

I could not attach the cake because of it's size, but you can see in my gallery.

I planned for a much smaller topper but i couldn't estimate how big sponge would be required.

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 3

.....your experiences of working w/fresh flowers on a cake....
Don't icon_sad.gif Flowers wilt quickly and soooooooo many of them are poisionis that I don't want to take the chance.

......bought a floral sponge;... let it float sink.... sponge didn't sank...dry sponge..........
You didn't get oasis. You got styrofoam
........After soaking...how heavy it will be ? .....need dowels to support the sponge and flowers ?...........
You could always cut the oasis down if you don't want it so big. I don't think it's all that heavy so no support/dowels are needed. The oasis must be put in a plastic lid so no water gets on the cake....they tend to leakicon_sad.gif But then one must arrange flowers in such a way as to hide that plastic lid.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 23 Dec 2011 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 3

My experience is, I tell the florist how big the top tier is, so they know how large their arrangement should be and they make it. I don't mess with flowers. And naturally yes, support should be incorporated to hold the (what should be ) heavy arrangement.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%