Can A Duncan Hines Red Velvet Mix Be Extended??

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 20 Dec 2011 , 11:27pm by BlakesCakes

Kiddiekakes Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 5

I have a DH red velvet mix but I need to extend it for 2-8 inch pans as I don't think it will fill two..It is the older box with 517 g so it might but just in case..Has anyone ever extended a RV mix..Is it the same extender recipe as used with other boxed mixes?

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
kendra_83 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 5

I use the WASC method with this cake and it fills two 8-inch rounds perfectly. In a large bowl, whisk together the Red Velvet mix, one cup flour and one cup sugar. In your mixer bowl, add 3 eggs, one cup sour cream, and one cup water and mix just to break up. Add dry to wet and mix for 3 minutes on medium speed. Spray your pans with cooking spray and, after filling with batter, rap on the counter a few times to bring bubbles to the surface. After cooling, cakes may be leveled, filled and stacked. This cake is very moist and more dense with a pound cake-like consistency that is more structurally sound than the recipe on the box.

cai0311 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 5

Use the same extending recipe for red velvet as you would any cake (sugar, flour, sourcream...). For the pudding use white chocolate. I can only find white chocolate pudding at the Super Walmart I shop at. If you can't find white chocolate pudding you can use cheese cake flavor pudding.

Do not use chocolate pudding. I was raised in FL and for us "southeners" red velvet does NOT taste like chocolate. If you use chocolate pudding then the cake will take like chocolate which then, it is a red chocolate cake - not a red velvet cake.

gramof5 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 5

I extend DH red velvet by adding one box of white chocolate pudding, 4 eggs, 3/4c oil and 3/4c water. Mix for 6 minutes (do not follow package instructions) and bake in 2 8" pans. Will take longer to bake than a straight box mix. Has a texture similar to pound cake and carves up nicely.

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 5

As far as I know, Duncan Hines has NOT altered the amount of mix in their boxes--at least not in the past few years. The Betty Crocker mixes recently were decreased by about 3 oz./box.

I use the basic WASC recipe with the Red Velvet mix. I, too, use White Chocolate Instant pudding (NOT the sugar free stuff, though). In a pinch, when I haven't been able to find it, I've used 1.5 oz. of vanilla + 1.5 oz. of milk chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%