Coloring Ganache?

Decorating By vgereis Updated 20 Dec 2011 , 5:22pm by vgereis

vgereis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgereis Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 11:44am
post #1 of 8

Hi all!

Just a quick question... is it possible to color ganache? I assume white chocolate ganache would be the way to go, right? Does anyone have any tips/suggestions?

Many thanks in advance!

Vicky

7 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 8

I'm sure you can. I would just use oil based colors (candy colors) so it will better incorporate into the mixture.

Annie

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, ditto what Annie said. Oil-based colors would work best.

Does anyone know if water-based ones will work too?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 8

I've just used regular Americolors (the kind used in buttercream and royal icing) -- put the color in the liquid (corn syrup generally) a tad darker than you want your ganache to be and make as the recipe requires. You can add it to the heated cream after you've taken it off the heat and stir well, then add to the chocolate. For candy clay, add to the corn syrup. No need for flo-coat or oil-based colors when doing it this way.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 8

I think regular gels would work fine as well. You don't have to worry about the chocolate seizing when you are making ganache because of the water content of the cream. So I think whatever colors you want to use are fine. In my experience, the oil based ones are very strong and thicker, but you can also use powdered colors too.

vgereis Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 3:55pm
post #6 of 8

thanks so much for all your replies! I only have gels at the moment... so am hoping it all works out! Will let you know! Thanks bobwonderbuns (great name btw! haha) for the details of when to add it! That was going to be my next question! icon_surprised.gif)

Best,
Vicky

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 8

I made red 'ganache' once using Wilton's red candy melts. icon_smile.gif

vgereis Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks TexasSugar!

Unfortunately I don't have access to those here in Paris... and it's a bit late to order! Thanks anyway for the tip! Will try it next time! icon_surprised.gif)

Best,
Vicky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%