Dummy Cakes - Buttercream?

Decorating By sleepy20520 Updated 20 Dec 2011 , 4:27pm by TexasSugar

sleepy20520 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 12:55am
post #1 of 6

hey everyone... so i know how to cover a dummy cake in fondant no problem. what do you do for butercream cakes (like to get that whipped look). do u just use buttercream or something else that will not wipe off or get smudged?

5 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

I've done dozen of dummy cakes in b'creamicon_smile.gif Just use it exactly as you would on a real cake.
I have made it all shortening w/NO flavoring - basically just Crisco, sugar and a bit of water for thinning it. there are some in my photos ... the 1st three pix on pg 2 are all b'cream dummy cakes and others.
The biggest problem w/getting them to stay still while applying and smoothing it. Put it on a piece of that non-skid rubber stuff. Doesn't have to be a very big piece - the same size as the cake board, just a sq about 3 ot 4" sq will be fine icon_smile.gif

sleepy20520 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:09am
post #3 of 6

so basically dont touch it like a real cake.... im using them for a bridal show and just didnt want them to get smudge in transport

sleepy20520 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

also, can u clean them off and reuse the styrofoam dummies?

CWR41 Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 5:43am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy20520

also, can u clean them off and reuse the styrofoam dummies?

Yes, you can reuse dummies.

If you want something more permanent, you can use Perma Ice artificial icing, royal icing, or spackle from the hardware store.

TexasSugar Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 6

Yes you can clean them off and reuse them.

If you use a crusting buttercream, do it early, and it will crust over and will adventually get hard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%