My First Cake

Decorating By northernskies Updated 20 Dec 2011 , 6:26am by Tails

northernskies Posted 19 Dec 2011 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 3

Hey everyone,

I have a plan to make a cake for my girlfriends birthday in a few weeks, I'm not really experienced in baking aha, best I've done is brownies and mince pies. Maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew but I want to make a cake in the shape of India as she loves the country and is planning a trip there in 2012. I guess I'm just looking for advice and some input. She likes chocolate cake most, so I guess if i bake just a standard chocolate 2 tier base and then cut our a deformed indian border after? Could anyone link me to a good recipe for the base and maybe icing? I was also thinking of making candles or mini flags on the path she is planning on taking..

Thank you, any dieas welcome

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 2:27am
post #2 of 3

Here's a link to one of the BEST recipes around icon_smile.gif
I advise you to take the time to read the whole post as there are lots of helpful hints in the ? & answer/reply section.

You don't say how many people you want to serve w/this cake so I suggest making a 'sheet' cake - say 9x13 or whatever similar pan that you might have. Bake 2 of them; set one aside to be cut into shape. Split & fill the other, (optional), then ice it.
For the shape, trace an outline of the country on freezer paper & cut out; place on cake and cut around it. This will be easier if the cake is very cold but not frozen. Ice this cake and place it on top of the other one.
A very tasty, easy to make icing is:

2 of everything
2 cups butter*
2 cups Crisco*
2 pounds of powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring
2 pinches of salt

*Note: as posted the above icing does NOT crust so if you want one that crusts reduce either the butter OR the Crisco by 1 cup; OR reduce both by 1/2 cup.

Cream the butter & Crisco very, very well - up to 10 minutes or so until light and fluffy. Mix the sugar & salt together, then Add about 1/3 of it at a time, mixing very well ( up to 10 minutes) after each addition. Flavoring is added w/the 2nd addition of sugar. YUMMMM icon_smile.gif

Tails Posted 20 Dec 2011 , 6:26am
post #3 of 3

I can personally recommend this cake icon_smile.gif

This recipe was reportedly created in the Great Depression and has NO eggs and butter! This was because eggs and butter were expensive and rationed thus this cake was born. Despite the lack of these ingredients, this cake is super moist, light but rich in flavour, and very fluffy!

The original recipe I found was for cupcakes, but the blogger did convert to cake as well:

* * 3 cups all purpose flour
* 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 2 cup brewed coffee (or 2 cups of warm water mixed with 2.5 teaspoons of espresso powder or instant coffee granules)
* 2 Tbsp white vinegar (this activates the baking soda for the cake to rise)
* 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
* 12 Tbsp (1/2 cup plus 4 Tbsp) olive oil

1 Preheat oven to 350°F / 179°C with a rack in the middle position. Prepare two cake tins with wax liner on the base & non-stick spray.

2 In a large bowl, vigorously whisk together the sifted flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt until there are no visible clumps (cocoa tends to clump up). (sift all powders)

3 In a separate bowl, mix together the coffee (or water plus coffee granules), vinegar, vanilla extract, and olive oil.

4 Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until they just come together. The mixture should be thin and rather lumpy.

5 Pour the batter into the cake tins, filling them about two-thirds of the way full. Place in oven and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a bamboo skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.

6 Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and let cool on a rack. Once cool, you can eat plain, or decorate and serve.

Quote by @%username% on %date%